Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks like it is a 2 5/16 coupler that was towed with a 2" ball. It wears at the bas of the ball instead of on the ball itself. Call yourself lucky that you got your trailer back at all, and that it didnt kill someone. I would likely price it at $200 including parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder:319214
    Cayager, I agree, usually about a 45 min job. It should be $ 60.00 plus coupler, but then you need to figure 15 min. when they drop the trailer off and 15 min. when they pick it up, So a $ 100.00 labor plus the coupler.

Elvis, Welding couplers on should be done by very competent welders, not a guy that uses a welder a couple times a year.
    Yeah, I forget about how incompetent that people can be... there are plenty of welders I wouldn't want doing something like this...
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Elvis, Over the years I have hired a few guys that say they know how to weld But...

This one 20 something kid showed up, I hired him, took him on a job, when he took it out, my foreman and I seen it was new and said( aht ohh )

He kept asking me if he should get the brazing torch out, I said no, just get the cutting torch out.

We then gave him a scrap pc. of plate to cut as we stood inside looking out through the window, we watched him put his welding helmet down to try to light the torch knowing that he couldn't see a thing, he didn't have a clue how to set the flame or that he had the wrong shield for a torch.

We watched him struggle for about 15 minutes and he finally gave up.

I love all the commercials and movies that constantly show someone with a welding mask on and a cutting torch in their hand.

Too all potential wanna bees, Welding and fabricating is not a trade that can be faked for very long.

Oh I don't know about that....I've been faking it for a very long time now!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

PW-

I get that. I run forestry equipment in the summer and they always send so joe over to fill in here and there. These guys don't know crap about running equipment. It ain't some little car that you just fill up with fuel, check the oil and go drive it around the woods!

I have gotten to the point where I am happy when these fill-ins know what a combination wrench or a grease gun is. Isn't that terrible? It is even better when they brag about how they can run anything but can't figure out a tracked masticator! It is basically an overgrown skidsteer with 2 joysticks and a couple buttons, more if you want to run the AC or listen to the radio...

I am not a pipeliner or anything like that, but when I can fabricate something I do it. I am not an idiot and I have the problem of assuming that everyone else is in the same boat. Turns out there are lots of idiots out there! And most of them are faking one thing or another.

I wouldn't hesitate to weld a new coupler on, but then I assume that someone asking on a welding forum should try it too. Whoops!
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Sounds like the person who borrowed it should be paying for the repair.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA