Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bending back coupler?

lent out trailer and now the bottom of the a frame coupler is scored and bent up a bit not allowing the tounge to fully seat. I was thinking some heat and a pry bar. What do you guys think?

I don't like to bend things back into place on a ball coupler. To me it's not worth it. I would replace it, even if it's a weld on. Just thinking of safety, if it came loose at 60mph..........

this is true... yes it is welded.. i got a quote for 200 plus part to have a new one welded on .

I work on trailers of all sorts and the one thing I never do, Is to try to repair a bent coupler, If that trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle and hits a family in a car coming the opposite way it could kill the whole family.

Put a new one on.

Don't listen to Frank, Replace the whole coupler, that way you know the parts are meant for that particular coupler frame.

I've seen too many people jury rig stuff that don't end up working like they thought.

Couplers are like brakes, You cannot afford for them not to work, Lives depend on it.

The coupler is what's between you and the trailer . Do you feel lucky ? REPLACE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    The coupler is what's between you and the trailer . Do you feel lucky ? REPLACE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY.
    And between the trailer and other traffic if it comes loose. I have seen all sorts of jury rigs on coupler's in my years of trailer building...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
    this is true... yes it is welded.. i got a quote for 200 plus part to have a new one welded on .
    $200 plus coupler? ouch. that's more than $ 200 an hour. im sure most will agree me here. if it takes them an hour to do the whole job, that was with a coffee break in between.

Why don't you weld one on? Pretty straightforward replacement.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Cayager, I agree, usually about a 45 min job. It should be $ 60.00 plus coupler, but then you need to figure 15 min. when they drop the trailer off and 15 min. when they pick it up, So a $ 100.00 labor plus the coupler.

Elvis, Welding couplers on should be done by very competent welders, not a guy that uses a welder a couple times a year.