Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

not all welder repair shops are ran that way ,sucks to hear when someone gets bad service. I repair welders for a living and have for 25 years, I have missed things in my time but I always try my best to make the corrections needed ,I e repair the machine and do my best to make the customer happy. so please don't bunch all welder repair shops in the same bunch. as far as blowing out the machine that's the first thing we do remove metal and blow it out power wash it out if need be. we all make mistakes its how there handled that makes a good welder repair shop or any repair shop as far as that goes.

Seems to me that a LOT of businesses are this way lately...no one cares, no one actually knows anything, most employees have no experience doing whatever it is that they claim they do. Every time I have needed something or had to get something done, I found that if I did about an hour's worth of research and learning, I then knew more than the "PROs" at the whatever shop. That is DISGUSTING!!! How is it that me...a guy "off the street" can know more than the so-called PROs after only doing a very minimal amount of educating myself and they have, what, weeks, months or years of experience? Well...maybe if I was some kind of a high IQ rocket scientist, yeah...but I am not...I am just the guy off the street with average intelligence, average (or maybe a little better) common sense!! AND THEN the whatever shop wants to charge and arm and a leg for their "EXPERTISE"? Yeah, right...WHAT "EXPERTISE"??? I KNOW that people have to put food on the table and pay the bills, but at the expense of their pride, ripping people off and flat out pretending to be "experts"? How do these people even live with themselves? I just DON'T GET IT!!!!
    Last edited by dondlhmn; 03-29-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Default shady businesses

I completely agree. I just recently had to reweld ends onto my catalytic converters outside in the freezing cold. I went to three different exhaust shops and ALL three of them insisted that my exhaust manifolds were cracked and needed to be replaced. My truck runs way better now. I would have paid them a couple hundys to do what I did cuz I really didn't want to

OK so here's the latest.
    1- yes I did get the old board back and because the problem was not fixed by replacing it, I'm sure it's fine, I'm going to keep it.
    2- I know some shops have employees that do care, I owned a machine/weld shop for 10 years and I / we did care and yes we all make mistakes, it's the ones that do what needs done to fix the problem that I respect. I said that if I got a response from them I would not besmirch them.
    3- I sadly have to say I agree most people working in the repair or service field today are for the most part if not poorly trained are completely inept. The sad part is as generationally we get lazier we also become a commodity based society, that is we don't repair, we build cheap and throw away. The bad with this is there are few of us old guys who have been in the trenches left to train the few younger guys who want to learn to diagnose and repair. I have a standing offer with the machine shop where my younger brother (who I trained) works to come in and work any part time hours (I told them I don't want to be a full time machinist anymore ) I want. The reason ? they cant find anyone who can run conventional machines, they are in Washington and have gone as far as Montana scouting schools and offering moving costs and bonuses. Why do I mention this ? it shows how hard it is to find someone who wants to learn a good working trade.
    OK diatribe over, the shop I took welder to called me back a few hours after I told them what I did and how disappointed I was the connections were not checked and how dirty it still was inside. They gave back all the labor cost and charged me only for the board. I got 400.00 back. They did apologize and said had I called they would have sent someone to repair it on site.
    Thank you guys very much for the ideas and for the thoughts.

So... it appears the shop didn't "know" the board was bad, they just "guessed" that it was bad. A lot of mechanics do the same thing, today. They don't prove components are "bad" before starting to replace them, one by one, until they "discover" the fix. In the end, the customer gets to pay for the guessing game.

Yes goodhand, my guess is they opened it up thought, well 85% of this thing is controlled by the board, chances are good we throw a board at it and problem goes away.
    I did notice when I took it in and told them the problem, they looked like they had never heard of it before. He called another guy out to hear the story and he just said "huh, well we'll check it out".
    I'm just glad people on hear had heard of the problem. It helped me find the problem myself. Lesson learned.