Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default repair shop my A##

I posted a question here a week or so ago about my 180sd tig running full power only.
    I had taken it to a shop that was miller approved to have it looked at, they told me it was the board, I had it replaced, about 800 bucks, if the machine wasn't so low hours I may not have done it.
    So I get it back, plug it in it works the first time I use, from then on, not so much, back to full power only.
    I ask here for ideas and got only one reply from a guy nice enough to help.
    He said the Hall effect current transducer was known for causing this. I bought one (53 bucks), take all the covers off and thought "repair shop my A##, dusty as could be, didn't even clean inside while they were there.
    I decide I'm going to clean all connections, I remove and clean all the bolted ones first, then start on the plugs. The first plug I touch is the one going from a resistor to a capacitor, it just falls off, couldn't be looser if I tried. I thought " well that's probably it, but I'm going to keep going". I get all plugs cleaned, sprayed with anti corrosion and back together. I put new Hall effect transducer on, plug it in, and it runs perfectly. I turn it on-off keep trying it, no problem.
    Moral ? yes, I know not to take a car to the dealer because they do crappy work, now I know not to take a welder to a repair shop because like the auto dealer, they do crappy work, just get it out and bill it, quality be ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by deanbw:319091
    I posted a question here a week or so ago about my 180sd tig running full power only.
    I had taken it to a shop that was miller approved to have it looked at, they told me it was the board, I had it replaced, about 800 bucks, if the machine wasn't so low hours I may not have done it.
    So I get it back, plug it in it works the first time I use, from then on, not so much, back to full power only.
    I ask here for ideas and got only one reply from a guy nice enough to help.
    He said the Hall effect current transducer was known for causing this. I bought one (53 bucks), take all the covers off and thought "repair shop my A##, dusty as could be, didn't even clean inside while they were there.
    I decide I'm going to clean all connections, I remove and clean all the bolted ones first, then start on the plugs. The first plug I touch is the one going from a resistor to a capacitor, it just falls off, couldn't be looser if I tried. I thought " well that's probably it, but I'm going to keep going". I get all plugs cleaned, sprayed with anti corrosion and back together. I put new Hall effect transducer on, plug it in, and it runs perfectly. I turn it on-off keep trying it, no problem.
    Moral ? yes, I know not to take a car to the dealer because they do crappy work, now I know not to take a welder to a repair shop because like the auto dealer, they do crappy work, just get it out and bill it, quality be ****ed.
    sounds like a typical shop especially when they know youve run out of options. I'm not a weldER guru but I what happened with the HallAffectCurrentTrans. Did you end up changing it and did you ever confront the shop about the situation, I mean thats a lot of money, I mean thats bull@$#*

Yes, it is bull$@#*. I did change the Hall effect trans. and yes I am going to talk to the shop and see what they have to say. I don't expect much of a response though. My guess is it will be some boiler plate dribble about how "we checked everything and their guys are the best.... we can't do anything about the cost but here's a 5 dollar coupon to starbucks".
    Remember a shop as three priorities !- get you in, 2- get you out, 3- get your money.

tell them to take a look at this post and if they don't give you satisfaction...

Name them here! Crooks have to be named

Yes snowbird I planned on telling them but showing this post is better. I have learned to expect little from companies and rarely have I been disapointed.
    I will see what if anything they offer to do, if nothing fine, the name of the shop will posted here and on the other major forum I happen to be on as well. I may join a few more just to get the word out.
    With just a little work the problem would have been easy to find. I think they just thought they could throw a board at it and the problem would go away, I doubt any time was spent diagnosing at all. If it was they should take a hard look at the labor force they have.

Man I hate that. You just don't know who to trust.

You would think that repair shops would test things and make sure they work before going out the door. Would be curious to see what shop it was to make sure no other members that read this get taken like that

I wonder what type of policy there is on that part,

My guess is because it's an electronic part they are not going to do much. We have been doing business with the supply end of this company for 12 -15 years, but if I get no satisfaction from them I have no problem going down the street to the other guys.

Did they give you the old board? If so, I'd plug it back in and see if it works.....

Elite Digital Hood (2007)
    Syncro200 Runner (2007)
    HyperTherm Max20 (1992)
    Century 83110 (1990)
    SpeedGlas fixed (1988)
    Linde 230 w/DC/HF/TIG (1977)
    Sears Craftsman Industrial O/A (1967)
    What - me worry???