Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default miller 251 tb problem

Machine will run, when I strike up an arc, the machine idles down til it barely runs, and barely welds. What is the problem?

Let me see if I understand. When you strike an arc the machine bogs down almost to the point of stalling and will barely weld?

Kohler or Onan engine?
    Does the machine sound like it's under a hard load or does it sound like the engine is just quitting?

If the machine sounds like its under a load, you have a short.
    If it's the engine...Kohler. might have a push rod off or the jets in the carb are fouled.
    Onan..jets in the carb fouled.

Really need more info.

Does it run on high, or idle. If on idle, does it idle up when you switch to run. Check the air filter? Oil? Carb linkage? Dashpot?

It can run on high idle as soon as I strike arc it pulls it down acts like it's going to die. It's the Onan engine. One time it ran wide open but couldn't hardly get arc out of it

Assuming all the linkages move freely, including the pivot point/spring return arm (mine froze up at one time), then i am guessing water in the fuel. Pull the carb bowl and cheek it out.