Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the door opening outward, they should have a cell phone to call for help.
    Except that a solid metal box buried in the ground probably makes an excellent faraday cage...

At the very least, make a smaller trap door in the main door that can open inwards and out of which you can poke the phone ... Or shout for help... Or just check that everything outside is ok

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    Except that a solid metal box buried in the ground probably makes an excellent faraday cage...

At the very least, make a smaller trap door in the main door that can open inwards and out of which you can poke the phone ... Or shout for help... Or just check that everything outside is ok

Frank
    Another thing to consider is after a storm like this, any local cell towers may be down too. You can't always rely on total cell phone coverage after a major storm like a tornado. Having a landline phone line installed would be a better option, but still not fail safe. I would still do a inward swinging door.

How about some bullet proof type glass to let sunlight in that slides into a track that can be removed.

Being in a tornado and not being able to check things out would suck, Plus you might want to know which way your stuff went, so you know what direction to head in.

This is a good time to have an old trusty ham radio.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

rl.robertson,

Well thought out design.

I came across your post too late but how about a second door or means of escape?

Groundhogs always have at least 2 exits for their tunnels.

On a similar note, in 1970 my high school classmate's parents moved 20 miles away.
    He still attended my school so all was not lost.
    One day after the move, he invited us to come out and visit.
    New house had a fallout shelter in the backyard built by the previous owner.

Win-win situation - my friend and his band buddies used it for playing
    as loud as the wanted and the parents loved it's soundproof qualities.

Hope you never, ever need to test yours.

Best wishes,
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !