Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Okay, let me be more specific. My opinion is buy a speedglas. I have purchased all three of mine off ebay (1 new-2 used) and dont have more than $500 invested in all of them. I can give no specifications at all, only my experience. I use speedglas exclusively with zero problems. Just my two cents.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    How long ago???You really don't understand the point of this thread, do you? We all know that we SHOULD buy a good helmet. We're asking: WHICH ONE(s)???Who rated it? The mfr? The retailer?
    Who ever it was they weren't lying. It's as good as my $300 Optrel e680 in every respect. The mfg rates them, but to validate the ratings, they have to pass independent laboratory testing to advertise the ratings. The HTP actually scores better than the Optrel e680 in angular dependence (1 vs 2).
    Last edited by OscarJr; 07-04-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Thank you guys so much. I'm really glad there is renewed interest in this thread because I never did feel totally sure of my decision.
    I really like the one recently posted. If it's good as it's said to be but at a really good price, then that's the thing i'm looking for.

Thank you guys!

my son bought him one of those auto shields from tractor supply they are desposable because i don't see anyplace . it's still going strong after 2 years and he only payed around 70.00 for it. as for me i just stick with my two miller elites they are [retty old but the only problem i ever had was dead batteries but a quik trip to walmart and it's back up and running.

Thanks to both of you, but metalpuddler...

WHICH SpeedGlas models do you have? Which did you buy new? Why did you buy new if used is OK? How much are the used ones worth, if someone wanted to bid on a used helmet?

And OscarJr; thanks for the rating clarification, but...

Does the HTP suffer from the same battery fitment issues as the DigElite? That page says the sweat bands are replaceable, but that site doesn't offer the replacement bands. Have you found them anywhere? How much do they cost? They seem to make a big deal about it, but I've never heard any welder complain about any of the problems CSV claims to eliminate. What's the difference between it & the WG version?
    Last edited by Steve83; 07-05-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Mine are all 9002X, no side vents and one with hard hat. Too much test of my memory to remember specifically about what I paid for each one. The only reason one was new because the person selling on ebay called a "speedglass", no watchers got it cheap, somewhere around $150 I think. Sorry I know that doesn't answer your question.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

Oh crumb, I just admitted buying a cheap helmet.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

How long ago???You really don't understand the point of this thread, do you? We all know that we SHOULD buy a good helmet. We're asking: WHICH ONE(s)???Who rated it? The mfr? The retailer?
    Steve,

I bought mine within the last year. There is a long time member at Hobart Weld Talk and weldingweb.com named Dan. He bought is HTP around the same time, and uses it daily at work. There is a thread over at Weld Talk about the hoods. If you're worried about the sweatband, call HTP. Both Jeff and Diana are good people.

Thanks to both of you, but metalpuddler...

WHICH SpeedGlas models do you have? Which did you buy new? Why did you buy new if used is OK? How much are the used ones worth, if someone wanted to bid on a used helmet?

And OscarJr; thanks for the rating clarification, but...

Does the HTP suffer from the same battery fitment issues as the DigElite? That page says the sweat bands are replaceable, but that site doesn't offer the replacement bands. Have you found them anywhere? How much do they cost? They seem to make a big deal about it, but I've never heard any welder complain about any of the problems CSV claims to eliminate. What's the difference between it & the WG version?
    My two helmets, the HTP CSV and the Optrel e680, are the only two helmets that I've used aside from an old cheapie harbor frieght, so I can't attest to any issues regarding some other brands or even amongst the other HTP helmets. I have yet to need to change the battery on it. As for the sweatbands, you probably just have to call in to ask for it. HTP doesn't mess around, they stock tons of stuff that they don't advertise in the website nor ebay store.

For HTP specifics, on anything, Paul P. has been my go-to guy. After I bought my Invertig 221 DV, he has helped me out tremendously to purchase extra stuff at crazy low prices. He is very straightforward about comparing to other brands and doesn't just try to sell you HTP stuff just because he works there.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

I've had my Striker Stealth CSV helmet/lens for over a year now. I use it strictly for DC TIG on 304L stainless steel. I've ran 1000's of welds with it, and I am still using the original factory installed batteries.

The last page of the owner manual has an exploded view of the helmet with a parts number listing below. Just to have one available when needed, I want to purchase a spare cover plate gasket. I plan on contacting HTP by E mail tomorrow morning to find out how I go about doing this.

I've used a Jackson Nexgen, Miller Elite, and Miller performance series. The view through the CSV lens is clearer and more defined then the above mentioned three. The view through the Nexgen is real good too, but its just not quite as good as the CSV. I dislike the green tint of the Miller lens.

A fair amount of my welding is in plant repair work were the view of the weld bead isn't always right in front of you. When viewing the weld off at an angle with the Nexgen, Miller Elite, and Miller performance series, there is a noticeably lighter shaded region along the edges of the lens. I don't see this lighter region through the CSV lens.