Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Can you assign a dollar value to eyesight? Everyone stop being a low bid buyer for one purchase. Buy the best you can get. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to weld. Hire someone else who owns a good hood to weld.
    Willie

there is a lot of wisdom in what you said...

unfortunately sometimes people misconstrue direct frank advice

as being rude or even a personal attack...

it was neither..

I do hope after some reflection..

that the OP takes the time to understand the spirit in which it was given...

Eyes and sight are precious... a gift that is often taken for granted untill it is damaged or lost.. then too late....

The point being....Buy a helmet with quality optics you only have one set of eyes... take care of them...
    Last edited by H80N; 03-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thumbs up

An inexpensive option would be a fixed shade filter

you would not have autodark or "grind" modes...

but you would protect your eyes at an easily affordable price...

a #10 shade is a good place to start...

Many of us welded for a lot of years that way before autodark became practical and reliable...

still have a "Cardboard" Huntsman with a #10 gold in it ...put away somewhere... just in case...

there are still quite a few guys out there that prefer a fixed glass filter and believe that their view of the puddle is sharper than with an autodark...
    Last edited by H80N; 03-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

You might also consider getting a good fixed shade hood for when/if the AD quits during a project, so you at least have a chance of completing what you are working on. Having a fixed shade will also afford someone else the opportunity to watch what you are doing if they are interested in your welding. I had an AD quit on me once and I had to put the project on hold until I got a replacement. Having a back up hood is not a bad idea for times like this.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 03-22-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Posting the PC reply of "buy the best" is fine if you already own a hood you like. But for the rest of us, it's USELESS.

1) We don't know what "the best" is - can you get 5 people here to agree on what it is?
    2) Even if we knew, we wouldn't necessarily know where to get the best deal, or if a used one is really a deal at the asking price. What's the depreciation of a welding hood? Do I really want a used one - especially if I can't see/test/smell it before buying? Do I want one that has been used in a hazmat environment?
    3) We aren't all pros - I weld as a hobby, and to entertain myself. Very rarely, I might weld something as a favor to someone else. I've gone through 1 large bottle of shield gas in 3 years using a $40 AD hood, which has never failed/flashed/killed a battery (if it even has any). Do you think I need an air-conditioned hood with a flip-up lens & side windows?

Tell me which brands/models/features to AVOID. Tell me what features are just for marketing, and don't add any useable value. I have light blue eyes that are sensitive to glare - tell me the maximum darkening time I should buy. Tell me which brands/models need more warranty work, and which companies make that process difficult/slow/expensive. Tell me what accessories are worth buying, and which hoods have them at reasonable prices: magnifying lenses, rear extension, neck extension... Tell me which ones come with plenty of accessories: storage bag, inner & outer shields, spare batteries... Tell me which (if any) are made in USA, and if they're good-quality.

These are the kinds of things we amateurs/novices/hobbyists would like to hear from you pros/old-timers/retailers/repair techs.

So far, I've pretty much decided I don't want an Elite because they use an oddball battery that's not a common or even standard size, so not all of them fit in the trays, which for some incomprehensible reason are NOT interchangeable side-to-side. I think I want something that uses 2032 since I have other devices which use that size. And since it seems that many brands use "standard" size lenses & shields, I probably don't want one that uses a proprietary-shaped lens (SpeedGlas?). I don't really care what it looks like, and I'm not paying a dime for color or stickers - if the decorated helmet is the same price as black, I might look at the designs, but I'd still probably prefer black.

So is a $100 Hobart better than a $100 Miller or a $100 Lincoln? What about the $150 range? Is an Optrel or Jackson worth the extra money to someone who welds as little as I do? I don't mind spending $350 if that's what it takes. But if a $150 hood will do everything I need, why would I spend more?
    Last edited by Steve83; 07-03-2014 at 01:23 AM.

I have a Speedglas that I've used for something like 15 years of Hobby welding now. It's still going. I also got a Rhino on Amazon about a year ago to use as an inexpensive backup for when the batteries fade on the Speedglas.

I got to use the Rhino about a week ago when the batteries needed replacement on the Speedglas and it worked every bit as nicely. One main difference that I noted is that the Rhino weighs quite a bit less than the Speedglas. It also has a "Grind" setting. Settings are controlled by a rotary knob on the left temple of the hood.The replacement face shields are inexpensive and are available on Amazon. I don't what battery it uses but I'm sure I could find one when I need it.

It's not bad for one third of the cost of the Speedglas. For those who have to have the "best", whatever that is, it won't do, however. LOL.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Simple rule I live by:

Miller and Lincoln make machines. Speedglas and Jackson make welding helmets. They cannot rely on other products to hold their line like Miller and Lincoln. If Speedglas makes a bad helmet, it ruins their business. If Miller or Lincoln sells a bad helmet, they know you will still buy a 252 or a 350P you know what I mean? In the almost 3 years of working for a distributor that stocks and sells a boatload of ALL the brands, I have NEVER received a Speedglas helmet for warranty after sale. I said NEVER. Lincoln is the worst, followed by Miller followed by Jackson. I always start with the quality and make the customer chose if he would like to go cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been using a Jackson NexGen with upgraded Halo headgear. After buying this one from HTP, I rarely use the NexGen.
    http://www.usaweld.com/Striker-Steal.../90130-csv.htm

They have two less expensive models available

Let me speak from my fourty years of experience. Started with cheap equipment and ended with messed up eyes. I have baked many potatoes in my day until I started using speedglas many years ago. My eyes didnt get any better but I havent had to put potatoes on my eyes since. Sell something and buy a good helmet.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    I've been using a Jackson NexGen with upgraded Halo headgear. After buying this one from HTP, I rarely use the NexGen.
    http://www.usaweld.com/Striker-Steal.../90130-csv.htm

They have two less expensive models available

I completely agree with ^^^^, I have the same helmet and it is a great value for the money. Top of the line filter ratings 1/1/1/1 for all categories, massive viewing window, ultra clear. Buy one before they get more expensive. A year ago they were $139. For comparison I also own an Optrel e680. The HTP is just as clear as the optrel which is a $300 helmet.

HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    After buying this one from HTP...
    How long ago???
    Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    ...buy a good helmet.
    You really don't understand the point of this thread, do you? We all know that we SHOULD buy a good helmet. We're asking: WHICH ONE(s)???
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    Top of the line filter ratings 1/1/1/1 for all categories...
    Who rated it? The mfr? The retailer?