Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hobart Impact is a good choice in the lower price range. It has grind mode and adjusts from a 7-13 I believe. It has three arc sensors, a medium sized viewing area, and a sensitivity control. The headgear is a miller elite headgear and very comfortable. Also it deflects sparks good because of its shape. It is in the 120$-140$ range. The only drawback is it fogs up just a fraction between the outer lense and the front of the AD lense but only when it is really cold. It doesn't' do it if you make sure to not breath forward (out of your mouth).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydoc1 View Post
    Obv my eyes are worth more than my welder is, butfrom your answer (another question) I get the idea you don't believe in using an inexpensive helmet.

Like I said before, I've seen them in the forty dollar range, but might be willing to spend $100 if its really that much better.
    I have had some of the cheaper ones, and they did not last for very long. Some less than a year of just intermittent use, some a little longer. If you go too cheap, it ends up costing more in replacement costs over a period of time. You could buy 4 $40 hoods and still be needing a hood, or buy a better one up front for $120 and use it for years to come buying only once. That's what happened to me. I now have a Miller Elite and like it. Its light and the head gear in comfortable and I paid $120 for it.
    I'm thinking of getting some fixed shade lenses to put in the other hoods so they can still be used. They are still in good shape, just don't darken anymore
    . I'm tired of buying cheap stuff and needing to replace it many times, instead of investing in something quality to begin with. It's cheaper in the long run to spend a little more now than a littleless several times over.

Thumbs up

Maybe a different way of looking at GOOD & Cheap...

Got my Miller Big Window Elite about 10 years ago for approx $250..

that works out to $25 per year..

if you don't count new batteries every 3.5 years (at approx $5 a set)

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default There are also used helmets available

For years I've been using my old Speedglas 9000 Utility, single shade, #10 I believe. I bought it used and it's never failed me. Back in the fall I had to replace a part on my utility trailer. I had about a dozen tabs that were to be welded to a bar so that after being drilled they could be used to make the bar more easily removed when necessary. My wife was walking by and saw what I was doing and said she'd like to weld them on. She hadn't welded anything in a good long while and wanted to see if she still could I guess. Anyway my little 140 was at its limits to do the job and she said something about it. I couldn't see where she was having problems because I only had the one helmet - which, of course, she was wearing. So that was when I decided to get me a second helmet. I wouldn't have anything other than an auto dark and after my recent experiences it would have to be variable shade too.

As soon as I decided to get a second helmet I went straight to Ebay and limited my search to used gear. I got a Lincoln Viking 3550, plain black with no fancy paint, in nearly new condition with its protective bag, and with half a dozen unused spare inside and outside lens covers for $147. There isn't a day goes by that you can't find and buy a very good used helmet for a hundred bucks or less.

Oh, on that Lincoln, love how it works but hate how it fits. I'm not exactly a Conehead but it can not be adjusted down small enough to stay on my head. Its bad enough that I'll probably give it to the guy who bought my old welder (the other good outcome from this was my wife saying we needed a welder with a little bit more power). I sold my 140 to a friend of my son at a very good price and at my wife's insistence bought a new 211.

Some days the gods just plain smile on you. Go check out EBay every day for a week or so. You might do good.

I've looked into that Hobart impact since you recommended it and I'm quite impressed. Found it online for $104. That's the kind of deal I was talking about; we're not talking about a $300 helmet that I can't afford and its not a $40 disposable. It send to be a fairly inexpensive helmet with nice features that make it worth the little bit extra. Rather than hurry and get a real cheapie, I'll wait am extra payday or two and go worth the impact. Thanks all for the appreciated advice.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Can you assign a dollar value to eyesight? Everyone stop being a low bid buyer for one purchase. Buy the best you can get. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to weld. Hire someone else who owns a good hood to weld.

Great advice Willie. So maybe I should go find an $800 helmet and if I can't afford that then I have no business even thinking about welding. Only problem is I've already splurged and bought the best welder I could afford. $1700 for a MM212 wasn't easy to come by, but I made sacrifices and did it.

If you've got money to just piss away on stuff you don't need that's great, but I'm not in that boat. The question I asked, if you bothered to read the whole thread is whether there is a good ad hood that will work and protect me but save me money by skimping on bells and whistles.

Bottom line: what's a good inexpensive helmet that the guys who do this for a living would recommend.

Thankfully I got some good advice from the names in here that I trust and luckily it was before you came along. Your advice was short, rude and no help at all.

I didn't say the most expensive, I said the best. You can't replace or fix damaged eyes. We, as welders spend too much on equipment. Please let your most important piece of equipment be your hood! As an example, I bought a Miller last spring, The Airgas manager at the time said the only difference between this and the best hood is that mine has three sensors, the top of the line has four. I've been flashed a dozen times. Maybe I would have been with the best, I don't know. I do know I have never said "I wish I bought the cheap one" The pain of a good tool is quick, then it fades. The pain of a cheap tool might be forever.

Great advice Willie. So maybe I should go find an $800 helmet and if I can't afford that then I have no business even thinking about welding. Only problem is I've already splurged and bought the best welder I could afford. $1700 for a MM212 wasn't easy to come by, but I made sacrifices and did it.

If you've got money to just piss away on stuff you don't need that's great, but I'm not in that boat. The question I asked, if you bothered to read the whole thread is whether there is a good ad hood that will work and protect me but save me money by skimping on bells and whistles.

Bottom line: what's a good inexpensive helmet that the guys who do this for a living would recommend.

Thankfully I got some good advice from the names in here that I trust and luckily it was before you came along. Your advice was short, rude and no help at all.
    If I've offended you I apologize! My tone was out of concern for your eyes. You only get one set. I flinch when I read some guy bought a HF Chinese welder. I hate to see them waste money, it won't meet their needs. A hood is more important!

Obv my eyes are worth more than my welder is, but i've read that even some of the cheaper helmets say that their helmet protects from UV even when the lens is off and doesn't darken. I don't mean to start an adjustment our debate, butfrom your answer (another question) I get the idea you don't believe in using an inexpensive helmet.

Like I said before, I've seen them in the forty dollar range, but might be willing to spend $100 if its really that much better.

If there's one you guys use that works great for you, what make and model is it?

I don't weld all day for a living, but when I do work on a project it is for several hours a day, a few days in a row.
    I asked this question of Lincoln. The answer I got was not convincing at all. They said if you feel discomfort, you could be damaging your eyes. They recommend fixed shade or a reputable manufacturer you trust. Dark does not equal UV protection. Better quality lenses give better protection at lighter settings.