Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Graduating trade school in a month!

First off, I'm new. Hi. 37 years old, maryland, starving artist who got sick of starving.Anyway, I have a question about new welders in the work place. What's your experience with how they are treated?

Welcome to the forum.

it all depends on the co workers. but one thing for sure they won't trust your welding until you prove yourself . just don't go in there and act like your the cats meow. even if you was the top guy in your class your the newest guy in their shop.keep your mouth shut and listen and watch then slowly start to speak up.the main thing i always hated about a new guy fresh out of votec was he thought he knew everything and bragged about how good he was at welding in the class room but when it came to real world welding it ate his lunch. listen watch and learn.

Default new welder

Better have THICK skin.....

Remember you have two ears and one mouth, listen twice as much talking...

Railmen
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

The treatment you receive as the new guy usually depends on your attitude.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by M J Mauer View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you, sir

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    it all depends on the co workers. but one thing for sure they won't trust your welding until you prove yourself . just don't go in there and act like your the cats meow. even if you was the top guy in your class your the newest guy in their shop.keep your mouth shut and listen and watch then slowly start to speak up.the main thing i always hated about a new guy fresh out of votec was he thought he knew everything and bragged about how good he was at welding in the class room but when it came to real world welding it ate his lunch. listen watch and learn.
    No problem with that... In my experience, most training, while accurate in practical terms, still has a few degrees of separation from what a job is actually like. I'll be very open and interested to learn all of those little differences. The way I see it, school is a manner of making myself marketable enough to get a foot in the door. On the job is where the real meat of the learning begins. I'm more concerned with impressing someone who pays ME, rather than the other way around. Thanks for the reply!

I am assuming you researched the job market for welders in your area before signing up for classes? Are you headed for a production line job, a welding and fabrication shop or what? I am also assuming you know that your going to get your hands dirty, being an artist is a nice cushy job, being in a welding shop is not.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I am assuming you researched the job market for welders in your area before signing up for classes? Are you headed for a production line job, a welding and fabrication shop or what? I am also assuming you know that your going to get your hands dirty, being an artist is a nice cushy job, being in a welding shop is not.
    You're not implying that I'm a stupid pansy are you? Nahh of course you aren't.The job I'm going for is a traveling job. I've been getting plenty dirty and burnt up for a year now.Thanks for the reply. I guess.

The treatment you receive as the new guy usually depends on your attitude.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder