Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Millermatic 350 P Aluminum verses Aluma feed synergenic Aluma power 350

I currently have a Cobra Matic Push pull set up that is great for heavy aluminum welding but not as good when trying to weld 3/16 on down.
    It also leave spatter behind.

My Competition has a OTC aluminum mig welder that produces some very nice spatter free welds and is very user friendly and prior to that he had a Miller set up which was horrible.

I was looking at the OTC set up but they said it was 3 phase only.

So any way, Are the new Aluminum mig welders noted in the title as good as the OTC.

I've seen some mig aluminum welds that almost look like tig with no spatter.

My guess is that its pulsing that allows this type of weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I currently have a Cobra Matic Push pull set up that is great for heavy aluminum welding but not as good when trying to weld 3/16 on down.
    It also leave spatter behind.

My Competition has a OTC aluminum mig welder that produces some very nice spatter free welds and is very user friendly and prior to that he had a Miller set up which was horrible.

I was looking at the OTC set up but they said it was 3 phase only.

So any way, Are the new Aluminum mig welders noted in the title as good as the OTC.

I've seen some mig aluminum welds that almost look like tig with no spatter.

My guess is that its pulsing that allows this type of weld.

Try welding with pulse on the thinner material. If you decrease the angle of the arc cone you will cut down on spatter using the 350p. You can achieve this by increasing your arc length and narrow the weld bead by increasing your sharp arc. It will produce a tig like bead if you whip it right. Just have experience with the 350P, it does a great job, Good luck

Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 02-18-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

I cant believe know one here has tried these machines.

It sure would be nice if we could fly out or drive to a Miller testing facility to see how good a $ 6,000 - $ 10,000 dollar machine works, Its alot of money to spend to see if it lives up to our expectations.

I would even understand if they said ( Bring your own material and pay a hourly fee to have a welding tech to show you how to tune it in for your specific situation.

I'd rather waste $ 400.00 than 6-10 thousand dollars on something that doesn't do what I was hoping it would.

Thumbs up

I cant believe know one here has tried these machines.

It sure would be nice if we could fly out or drive to a Miller testing facility to see how good a $ 6,000 - $ 10,000 dollar machine works, Its alot of money to spend to see if it lives up to our expectations.

I would even understand if they said ( Bring your own material and pay a hourly fee to have a welding tech to show you how to tune it in for your specific situation.

I'd rather waste $ 400.00 than 6-10 thousand dollars on something that doesn't do what I was hoping it would.
    Bet if you talked to Miller they would give you the name and number to one of their area welding engineers... He/She could probably make arangements for a demo... probably a bunch of places within easy reach of you in Michigan..
    Could always call your LWS.. they should have a number for your local Miller rep..

BTW.. I have a MM350P...(not the Aluminum specific model) and like it a lot... but must admit that most of my work is TIG with either Dynasty 350 or 200DX...
    Last edited by H80N; 02-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

The 350p Aluminum doesn't have the heavy duty drive rollers in the cabinet like the regular 350p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 350p aluminum is strictly set up for a push/pull situation which is why it has the single drive roller. If you look at the regular 350p, it has heavy duty double drive rollers. Makes it nice if you want to use it for steel welding with a standard mig gun and have a 15/30A spool gun on the side for aluminum. I sold my ALUMA pro push pull and picked up a 30A and a Miller roughneck c30; therefore I can use the machine for both steel and alum. I also found the ALUMA pro push pull a little heavy and awkward. The 30a feels lighter and easier to manipulate. However miller now has a lightweight push pull gun.

Don't know if the programing is different between the 350p and 350p Aluminum

Hope all this helps,
    Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 02-21-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    The 350p Aluminum doesn't have the heavy duty drive rollers in the cabinet like the regular 350p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 350p aluminum is strictly set up for a push/pull situation which is why it has the single drive roller. If you look at the regular 350p, it has heavy duty double drive rollers. Makes it nice if you want to use it for steel welding with a standard mig gun and have a 15/30A spool gun on the side for aluminum. I sold my ALUMA pro push pull and picked up a 30A and a Miller roughneck c30; therefore I can use the machine for both steel and alum. I also found the ALUMA pro push pull a little heavy and awkward. The 30a feels lighter and easier to manipulate. However miller now has a lightweight push pull gun.

Don't know if the programing is different between the 350p and 350p Aluminum

Hope all this helps,
    Ja
    You are right... the Aluminum version is shy a pair of rolls that the regular version has...
    (and I REALLY like that 4 roll system)

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o254915c_mil.pdf

My regular MM350P (4 roll).. runs aluminum just fine with Alumapro push-pull and 30A...

I wonder why an Aluminum specific model?? maybe more Al presets in the firmware??

am very happy with my "Regular" version.. very versatile all the way around... on steel as well as Al..

Add a "REACH" suitcase and it would be pretty near perfect...
    Last edited by H80N; 02-22-2014 at 06:37 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I notice the 350-P doesn't have a lifting lug which is a nice feature to set the machine inside a aluminum gravel train box.

H-80N, Unfortunately my supplier is Lincoln only so I don't have a relationship with a Miller supplier near me.

I notice the 350-P doesn't have a lifting lug which is a nice feature to set the machine inside a aluminum gravel train box.

H-80N, Unfortunately my supplier is Lincoln only so I don't have a relationship with a Miller supplier near me.
    Had never noticed the lack of a lifting lug... (had to go and look at mine) and sure enough ... no lug.. a 25ft Alumapro or 30ft 30A wouldn't get it??
    30A can be extended even further and this would be a good place for the "Reach" suitcase with long extension..

As far as a Miller rep... bet it would not be too hard to scare one up for a demo...

you are in Milan Mich.?? right??
    Last edited by H80N; 02-22-2014 at 07:07 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I have a feeling if you are serious about buying a 5k+ it won't be hard to get any dealer to let you test drive one in the back or something at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I have a feeling if you are serious about buying a 5k+ it won't be hard to get any dealer to let you test drive one in the back or something at the least.
    It would be much better to have it demoed by somebody that really understood all the features and could compare it to the competion...

no offense to the LWS guys but they usually know squat about the machines and most of that is wrong... not their fault... mostly sales clerks not welders or weld engineers..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200