Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Is your larger gas bottle for your MIG or your TIG?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • MIG (75/25 or other mix)

2 25.00%
  • TIG (100% argon)

6 75.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To ask that question. I would be hesitant to give advise.
    Argon goes to spool gun (Alm.) and Tig Dynasty.
    Run 85/15 on Mig 350P. (Steel)

I knew it may sound like a silly question but it was meant to me more of a general question, is TIG one of those things that once you have it you use it way more than you think, like ratcheting wrenches and flap discs?

I only gave more info because I figured a bunch of people would ask for more info, but I also guessed more info would just create a bunch of those "if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be doing it" types of posts. Oh well, can't keep everyone happy.

No I have not TIG'd before, but I've always been a DIY guy and I'm perfectly capable of applying common sense of when I should and shouldn't trust my welding skills to the project at hand. The reason I am considering TIG is for chrome-moly, stainless, and aluminum work.

Have you ever found yourself using TIG for mild steel when you could be using the MIG instead? That is what I have no idea on. I was planning on trading the C25 80 CF for a pure argon and buying a 125CF C25 tank since I currently weld steel more with MIG than I will aluminum. But down the road will I be thinking the opposite when the 100%A tank becomes the TIG tank?

Obviously no one can predict how I will use it, it is just a general question I thought I would get some opinions on. Thanks for the info I have gotten. It is good to know that TIG can use more gas than MIG from the pre and post flow, that I did not know.

BTW, from the pole I see the larger tank is the TIG tank for all 2/3 people...

Default Larger bottle for TIG or MIG?

That's how we learn, ask if we don't know.
    The forum is mixed, some full time welders welding every day to feed them selfs others more hobby just for fun & extra income.
    I had never Tig welded before I bought one. Done a lot of Oxy Acy welding along with stick & mig. Just bought one and went to practice, if u can gas weld u can Tig weld, just practice.
    Yes I use mine on steel and SS also. There great for thin and precision work. I also do Blacksmith work and use Tig for most all that work. But everyday repair work is mostly Mig. and my field work is stick or wire feeder work. They all have there place. Tig is slow. Mig is fast. Stick is all weather anywhere anytime. They all hv there place.
    We all learn from each other.

I systematically collect owner cylinders over time for cheep off Craigslist and have "large" ones for MIG and TIG, OA, etc.

Get them cheap enough and swap 'em out pronto, then enjoy over time. They don't lose value, and years down the road if you no longer want them you can sell them for a profit.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Depends on the project, rebuild a dump truck: no gas, flux core or stick. Aluminum drawer boxes for my van: argon. Overhaul a 1 ton dump trailer: steel mix. I have a very big leased bottle of each, and little bottles of each along with 75% helium. Owning little bottles makes me more portable, and I can lock them in a job box so I can leave them on the job. As I live 22 miles from my LWS, they aren't open on weekends, I'm not screwed when I run out.
    Last edited by Willie B; 03-19-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Cool

I have the same size bottles...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

(1) I tend to get and use the biggest bottles that are practical for pretty much any process/machine because buying gas in larger quantities is most generally cheaper.

(2) I keep a smaller tank of gas used when I need to back-gas something like stainless tubing and a few other tanks of "specialized" gasses. I don't often need or use them, but it sure is handy having them around. Most of them were bought for cheap and filled so I would have the gasses I need for the occasional use.

(3) TIG is one of those things that is way easier to use for the "little projects" everyone runs into, rather than using MIG or stick. Turning the TIG outfit on and doing some small aluminum or stainless job is really handy. Also, if I need to just do some little low carbon weld, the TIG is what I go for for several reasons...One is that it makes almost NO mess (****, I can weld in my underwear if I want to!) and another is that I don't have to get all "suited up" and go through 15 minutes of setup and prep to do a 45 second welding job. All you've gotta do is choose your tungsten and choose either AC or DC!!!

You will have to note, though, that if you aren't decent at TIG and reasonably experienced, it will be more trouble than it is worth most likely.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.