Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Is your larger gas bottle for your MIG or your TIG?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • MIG (75/25 or other mix)

2 25.00%
  • TIG (100% argon)

6 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Larger bottle for TIG or MIG?

I have been using a MM211 with 80CF 75/25 bottle for several years now. Works great and I'm about to try aluminum w/ the spoolgun soon so I need to get 100% argon bottle. I was thinking of getting a larger 120CF tank this time.

However, I also plan to get a small TIG eventually (not sure on the diverson/syncrowave/dyna$ty debate yet). So once I get a TIG would you guess I will use the MIG or the TIG more often? Should the larger tank be for the 75/25 or for the 100% argon?

I weld in spurts, sometimes I don't weld for a couple months, other times I weld every day for a few weeks, depending on the projects. Mostly automotive hobby projects, offroad 4x4 vehicles, drag racing, etc. Not sheetmetal work usually, more custom suspension and chassis work, etc.

Just trying to plan ahead, Thank you.

Default ??????

Quote Originally Posted by folkenheath View Post
    I have been using a MM211 with 80CF 75/25 bottle for several years now. Works great and I'm about to try aluminum w/ the spoolgun soon so I need to get 100% argon bottle. I was thinking of getting a larger 120CF tank this time.

However, I also plan to get a small TIG eventually (not sure on the diverson/syncrowave/dyna$ty debate yet). So once I get a TIG would you guess I will use the MIG or the TIG more often? Should the larger tank be for the 75/25 or for the 100% argon?

I weld in spurts, sometimes I don't weld for a couple months, other times I weld every day for a few weeks, depending on the projects. Mostly automotive hobby projects, offroad 4x4 vehicles, drag racing, etc. Not sheetmetal work usually, more custom suspension and chassis work, etc.

Just trying to plan ahead, Thank you.
    not to be a jerk here but how the **** would we know what type of welding you would do more??? on the tank question. my feeling is if you dont need it to be portable, i get the biggest tank i can. better value. i think for a 300cf 75/25i pay around $70 . im sure a little dinky one would be at least half that price and you get a fraction of the product. just like anything in the world, the bigger you buy the better value. buy a grinding wheel pay $5 dollars. buy 200 at a time and get them for less than $2 dollars. but thats just me

a have a baby c25 , a baby tri-mix , and a big straight argon,

now ,
    -did you ever tigged before?

why want a tig machine now?

if you asked mean you havnt done tig much in your life...!?

every person is different,and thats why there is so much different machines out there!
    every machine got theirs pros/cons

no one can decide for you!

As mentioned we can't know which process you'll use more

BUT Tig uses more gas because of Pre-Flow and Post Flow

Most likely your supplier will swap out the gases if you find you need the 125 for C25 rather than Argon. You'll just lose the gas that was in the bottle when you exchange it before it is empty.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

WISCONSIN ? Tha explains it . Kidding . Where you at in Wisconsin ? I get my cylinders from Advanced Welding near Greenfield , here's their craigs list post .

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tld/4349192348.html

If you look at their prices, there is not much price difference from a 80 to a 125
    I would go with a 125 or 150 for each.
    As stated tig will use more gas. The suppliers by me will not refill the 300 size big cylinders unless they are rented from them. 150's are the largest.

I find that the 120/150 size is the best comprise between filling often and portability. I weld for fun not for work. I do take jobs on the side to help with the new equipment fund. If an 80 works for mig it will probably do for tig too. If you find you are filling to much then go bigger. It is also worth buying multiples of the same gas so when you run out on Saturday you can switch out and keep going.

Really it all boils down to you... ya know?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Larger bottle for TIG or MIG?

I buy the big ones myself it's the best value.
    My big Argon has a Y and I run one hose to mig and one to Tig michine. One big bottle 2- machines.
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    I buy the big ones myself it's the best value.
    My big Argon has a Y and I run one hose to mig and one to Tig michine. One big bottle 2- machines.
    Works for me.
    you mig weld with pure argon? or tig with 75/25?

i bought a diversion 165, i dont do much tig work, after my little bottle ran out, i went back to airgas and did a 1 yr lease on an argon bottle. it sucks paying lease fee,s but the price of gas more than makes up for it. it cost about the same to fill the 375 cu. ft. leased bottle as it does to get a refill on those small knee high bottles

Quote Originally Posted by cayager View Post
    you mig weld with pure argon? or tig with 75/25?
    Mig Alooominum
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus