Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miller 350P

Quote Originally Posted by WebbsWelding View Post
    You guys are great, gave me some good ideas of what to look for, I had my number wrong earlier, it is set to arc length -50 and arc control 25. I wish I could use a ss wire brush but most of these old boats usually have several coats of old paint and there is always something gooped everywhere in an attempt to seal leaks, one of you mentioned increasing the tip size? I have some .047 tips but did not figure they would work with .030 wire. I will see if I can find anything but may just start changing out parts. Also the tension adjuster at the machine end are set so loose they are hardly applying pressure to the drive wheels but if I tighten them to 2 or 3 I get a feedjam and birdnest. Back in a while, thx again

I may stand corrected but the 350p and XR-Alumapro are not set up for .030 wire, drive rollers and pulse programing for .035 and 3/64 wire only. That would explain a lot.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Your right just went and checked, I have .035 in it not .030, got my sizes mixed up, runnin .030 on another mig I use.
    Don't underestimate how far acetone vapors can travel.

Set arc length to 58, arc control to 40, run-in to 80. Cfh 25. Stick out 5/8 to 3/4. Give that a try.

Slow down, Step, pause, step, pause watch for the cathodic etching in front of your puddle. If its not etching you will kick up aluminum oxide in the puddle. You will see it turn black and then that's when all **** breaks loose.

Good luck, Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 03-11-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

What you are describing is exactly whats happening, I will reconfigure and try it tonight. I hate runnin cfh that high, eats through a bottle but if it helps I will live with it. Thanks

I took everybody's great advice. I moved my ground near my work, adjusted my settings, cranked up the flow, and put down some great welds, welded about four feet total with the same tip. The machine even sounded happier. When I weld new clean aluminum it just purrs away as always but I guess a few tweaks were needed for old crusty aluminum. Thanks to everyone. Also, I bought a pile of alumapro parts at a liquidation auction. All are new in package, side cover plates, trigger, drive cover, liners, all sorts of little pieces in the gun head, If anybody needs anything holler and I will see if I have it. Cut Y'all a deal for the wonderful help. Thanks a lot, most fun I have had welding boats for some time now, Adam Webb

Glad to know you got it running better!

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools