Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller 350P

Hybrid View

Default Miller 350P

I have been having an issue lately that is starting to get on my nerves. When I am welding with my 350 p the arc gets to where it wants to back up into the tip. By backing up I mean my stickout disappears, it gets really loud and stops feeding because the wire melts in the tip. The other day I went though 6 tips in 6 minutes. Here are the details, welding old aluminum, cleaned with high speed ss wheel, and acetone. My settings are pulse, .030 4043 wire 18cfh, I usually keep about a 5/8ths stickout, 20 degree torch angle. It occurs after the weld has begun, maybe 1/2 inch into it after that initial start peak has subsided. The problem seems to be much more prevalent with older aluminum that has been painted or undercoated. I built a second story deck on a pontoon boat all with new aluminum and used only one tip. But I get a lot of aluminum boats and this arc issue is driving me nuts. I know most will say you are not cleaning well enough. I have been using this machine a long time and still find it finicky. A buddy keeps trying to convince me to switch to the .047 wire. I weld a lot of .080-.125 and think the .047 wire is too thick. I know it is not the machine but it is aggravating. I have the arc control set at 50, and I usually have the machine in the 200-215 range depending.
    Don't underestimate how far acetone vapors can travel.

It sounds like you may need to increase your wire feed speed. What is your wire feed speed set at? What gun are you using?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I am using the alumapro gun.

As best as I can tell as you adjust your thumbwheel on the gun the current and wire feed increase together. If I turn it up then I am too hot. I do agree though, it seems like a feed issue, I have checked my tension at the drive wheels, I am still trying to get this machine to act right, but my problem may be staring at me in the mirror every morning, not sitting out in my shop.

Gotta get my day rolling, check back tonight, hopefully someone has had the same problem and figured it out. Working in the "hood" up in Memphis today, wish me luck. Adam

Default Miller 350P

Sounds like a possible feed issue? I hv 350p but not that gun. So just throwing this out there in hope it helps. I'd check any & everything related to feed, rollers etc. possible rollers are worn & slipping thus slowing down feed speed etc. damaged liner or hose, internal kink or slight damage also disrupting free wire feed. Also don't over look ground connections ck all them. That Michine likes good ground. Don't overlook feed also. Don't think that's it, but my 350 was acting up for couple weeks & just couldn't put my finger on it till one day unplugged at wall & plug was hot (not good) tore apart found one leg of 220 was loose & arching also burnt & hot. Repaired. good old 350p back to normal, just some ideas. Greg

Default Miller 350P

high speed ss wire wheels...

-sometimes , when u use wire wheels on dirty aluminum,you get it worst because of the friction cause by the wheel and you get the aluminum stuck with bad stuff deeper!

"wire brush" and scotch brite are my best friend on alu!

*i also had that problem on the past ,where i plugged several tips....
    i swapped it for one size bigger tip and it did the job at that time!
    -it seems like when welding on dirtier aluminum the wire expand quicker and get jamed up in the tip ....
    Phil

What is your arc length set on? you said your arc control is 50, that's maxed out. The pulse programing is set with values of arc length 50 and arc control 25. in my opinion only small deviations should be made from these numbers.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

However I've had the same problem with my 350p and alumapro gun. Burn back and also overfeeding wire into the piece. While welding I would notice contamination (black) in the puddle and then not long after one of the two above would happen. Increasing chf will help decrease contamination due to better shielding, also helps with cleaning action. You should see a good cleaning zone around your weld. Arc length values also help with cleaning I've noticed. Again, post your Arc Length.

Ja

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

You guys are great, gave me some good ideas of what to look for, I had my number wrong earlier, it is set to arc length -50 and arc control 25. I wish I could use a ss wire brush but most of these old boats usually have several coats of old paint and there is always something gooped everywhere in an attempt to seal leaks, one of you mentioned increasing the tip size? I have some .047 tips but did not figure they would work with .030 wire. I will see if I can find anything but may just start changing out parts. Also the tension adjuster at the machine end are set so loose they are hardly applying pressure to the drive wheels but if I tighten them to 2 or 3 I get a feedjam and birdnest. Back in a while, thx again