Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default can you learn TIG by yourself on your own???

i wanna buy this 90A Arc/TIG Inverter Welder and start practicing TIG at home. i live in a condo.
    any thoughts?

Sounds good. Which welder?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Sounds good. Which welder?
    it's a Century

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/A...lder/8261877.p
    Last edited by welder00; 03-06-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Does your condo have a garage suitable for welding? I wouldn't start welding in your living room

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by regal2800 View Post
    Does your condo have a garage suitable for welding? I wouldn't start welding in your living room
    Rough on the carpet! I believe a welder that small needs 100% duty cycle to be anything more than a paperweight. Maybe jewelry?

What type of material do you plan on using and thickness. Have you welded before ? What power is available ? 115/230 ?
    If you just want to stick some metal together for art work and you watch some video's , you can. If you want to weld on 150# steam piping, NO.
    The machine you listed does not come with tig setup. Too me a FOOT PEDAL is the only way to go. I would not buy that machine, I would stick with MILLER, LINCOLN, and HOBART. A REAL machine will cost 5 times that but you will only buy it once and if you decide to sell it you will get a return on your investment. Look on craigs list for a used one. The DIVERSION or MAXSTAR would be nice.
    Here's my local suppliers website with some options on machines and prices.
    http://www.weldersupply.com/C/42/TigMachines
    Posting your location would help.

The output of that welder "has been optimized for stick welding" according to the manual. It doesn't even have lift arc.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974 vintage)
    Syncrowave 250
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Thermal arc sells a 90 amp unit for the same price that will lift-arc tig better. But a little Max star is what you want. Can run 150amps of tig output on 115v.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Hello, welder00.

I think you are getting a lot of good advice about buying a machine, but your question was could you learn to TIG on your own?

The answer to that is yes, but....

You can read a lot and watch a lot of good videos, here and other sites like www.weldingtipsandtricks.com, but you will have a hard time becoming proficient without a buddy or someone who is experienced to help you really understand what to do, how it should look, and how to tell if you have penetration, etc.

I taught myself steel TIG with a scratch-start setup and after a lot of practice I was able to make acceptable welds. It took a lot of reading and hood time.

You would need an AC/DC welder to do aluminum and that is a whole other animal. I would strongly advise you to enlist the help of a proficient welder if you want to learn aluminum.

Good luck. Let us hear back from you on what you decide to do.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Don't know about the welder.

I do know that you CAN teach yourself how to TIG (any process) weld. I've done it and know of others who have.

I also believe that if you can get into a good curriculum program where they actually TEACH you how, you'll be better off. School plus out of class practice is the best option in my book.

I'm withdrawing from a local community college curriculum on Monday because they're wasting my time with useless class make-work, and then I might have the instructor's attention during arc time for 5 to ten minutes a night.

I've used text books, free documents on the Web, this forum, Youtube and that highly important hours upon hours of arc time in my garage and it's all been valuable.

And most of all I know that I still have a lot to learn.

But, YES, you CAN teach yourself how. (And lots of folks on this forum will help you achieve it.)
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya