Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Limitations for use of 180 Amp Mig Welder ???

I am not new to welding however am planning a new welding project that is a first for me, and that demands respect because of loading requirements of the application.

The project is fabrication of a hydraulic press frame wih an active load of 30 tons. Although I am skeptical of using one of my 220 volt milier 180 amp millermatic welders for this project it sure would be covenient for me if I could.

So my question is - Is using a Mig welder for structural applications such as this press frame a fools errand ?

When welding I always grind or brush the weld areas clean, and grind for penetration as preparation.

Mig is used in structural applications each and everyday. Many think stick is the only choice for load bearing weld mental which is just not true.

What thickness steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Mig is used in structural applications each and everyday. Many think stick is the only choice for load bearing weld mental which is just not true.

What thickness steel?
    There are 1" thick elements that are to be welded to 1/4" thick tube. I figured a good preheat would be a compensation for the extra thicness. If so how much preheat is needed ?

My Chinese made press that I inherited was made with mig. I don't for see any problems if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    My Chinese made press that I inherited was made with mig. I don't for see any problems if done correctly.
    "if done correctly" is the key here.

knots43 -- I don't think you will get great penetration on 1" plate with your machine. I assume these welds will be in "shear"? No one here can tell you of your ability. I wouldn't trust it if it were mine. This is something that has the possibility of letting go violently under load with your head/body right next to it. Do you really want to be thinking about your welds every time you are maxing it out?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by knots43 View Post

So my question is - Is using a Mig welder for structural applications such as this press frame a fools errand ?
    So how thick and what shape is your metal? I used my MM185 on my press and didn't have it maxed out...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    "if done correctly" is the key here.

knots43 -- I don't think you will get great penetration on 1" plate with your machine. I assume these welds will be in "shear"? No one here can tell you of your ability. I wouldn't trust it if it were mine. This is something that has the possibility of letting go violently under load with your head/body right next to it. Do you really want to be thinking about your welds every time you are maxing it out?
    Yours is the obvious answer. Maybe with preheating it could work but the problem with preheating a sizeable frame is that it cannot be pre-heated all at once. Local pre-heats would likely cause distortion. I agree that without pre-heating the 1" plate that the results would be questionable at best.

For something this heavy about all I can rely on using the MIG would be tacking to get everything in alinement and set for the real welds.

Anybody ever use a toaster oven for a rod oven ?

No mention of metal transfer, could be short arced. But, spray would be better. Get a cylinder of 98/2 ( argon oxygen or argon CO2 ).

I don't know if the 180 has enough power to get into spray. There are ways to do this but the op has limited experience, limited machine & all he needs is to make a few welds for himself. My advice would be for him to tack it up & let someone with a larger machine weld it. No one here has even seen the design yet so saying it is o/k is irresponsible.

It may be fine forever but it only takes once when something lets go.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I believe 0.035 ER70S-6 wire will transition to spray at 24.5 + volts with a 90% + argon bi-mix shielding gas at 160 amps. May bump the duty cycle hard.