Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default solid core welding

.035 75/25 gas, my boss says you can't weld that uphill. I say you can. Am I wrong

Well, he may not be able to, the rest of us can. Set powersource at 17-20 volts wfs 100-150 ipm. Use a Z or u pattern pausing at the toes to fill any undercut. Note: volts amps approx.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by beamwalker View Post
    .035 75/25 gas, my boss says you can't weld that uphill. I say you can. Am I wrong
    How else would you do it? or are you talking about thin sheet?

I run er70s6 in that size and shielding vertical up. Works great. The inverted-V is effective. If you have never ran it uphill then find a little scrap to practice on first. It takes a bit to get it sometimes.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

When it comes to vertical up you need to turn the heat down from what you would weld the same material at because your staying in the same area which gives you the heat for penetration, and like someone said in a earlier post, you need to pause at the outside edge to let it fill so you eliminate under cut.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I run less heat and wire, quick across the middle, pause on the edges so they fill. I have trouble with a "saggy" looking bead if I run too much wire, and or am not quick enough jumping to the other side.

We made bumper for our crane, while he was gone I fooled around with it until I got it looking like I tig the weld. Didn't say a word, when he came by yesterday, inspecting was very happy with the appearance so I told him I ran it uphill, he told me to grind out and reweld, I refused

Quote Originally Posted by beamwalker View Post
    He is wrong.

Griff

Your boss is wrong. Up hill is one of the safest welds in mig. Meaning it is easy if your not experienced to make a weld look good and not have proper penetration foremost downhill then flat. But it's almost impossible to weld up and not have good penetration. So if your vert up weld looks good your almost assured u have good fusion & strong weld. In my opinion as far as mig is concerned vert up is definitely doable (do it all the time) and a strong weld.
    Ps. I rarely ever weld mig down for any structural type weld or for any weld unless it's just for looks only, no strength required. It's vert up for me all the way.