Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I use stick an fc all the time. Imho it will be an even stronger weld provided you have taken all steps to prep because you don't have flux to worry about, therefore no inclusions...anyway he is grinding away

Tell your boss he needs to read this, It sounds like you guys weld a lot of structural as I also do which never sees maximum loading, I also weld a lot of heavy equipment also where the welds are stressed closer to there limits.

Vertical up is the only way to go, The only time I might do a down hill mig is tacking sheet metal together which is not structural.

Only time I downhill is something small with no stress also. Just like tacking. I'm going to learn this gas/solid core better tho

Is your boss a welder or just a boss?

He has 6G certs. But he does not know wire. He fought me two years over getting a suitcase and picking up the production. About 8 years ago I got a suitcase, learned how to weld with 232 .072 innershield and for handrail in the field I would use.045 212 innershield. The production has picked up so much he let got rid of the dead head we had, and now I do all the welding. He does not know how to use his little 110 wire feed, he leaves pin holes in weld, doesn't prep his work, burns it with torch, does not remove slang prior to trying to weld. Don't get me wrong, he is an excellent employer, just no longer a welder. That's my game in our outfit and I'm learning as much as I can.

If he is certified on 6g he should know the benefits of welding uphill.