Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: IMT Crane help

Default IMT Crane help

My truck crane is older IMT I think early 80's ? > The 12 volt motor quit, non repairable. Tag on motor worn off, had Scott motor. Called ITM with ser. # they told me to old non serviceable and unable to help with motor id. Said needed to replace complete hydro unit. Matched up snowplow type motor local that I could retro fit but it's to small.
    Anyone had same problem? Anyone hv good used one? Or help finding replacement without exceeding value of unit. Thx Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

how bout a place that rebuilds starters and generators/alternators. they fix some pretty old stuff off cars and tractors and such. maybe they could rebuild it?

Default IMT Crane help

Thx. Tried that. All the magnets broke loose from housing & spun also broke some of them. They told me unable to rebuilt.
    Thank you.

I would search local shops that deal in 12 volt motors, eventually someone is going to have something, another option would be to find a used crane and keep it around for parts.

New cranes aren't cheap.

Before you scrap it, look at Grainger. They are pretty high price, but they have a lot of things that are hard to find otherwise.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default IMT Crane help

Thanks guys. That's where I'm at now. To good to scrap, to old to put to much money in and don't use it enough to buy new.
    Hoping someone had used one laying around. Could switch to Pto but for now still looking, I'll come up with something.
    Thx

Default easy fix...

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    My truck crane is older IMT I think early 80's ? > The 12 volt motor quit, non repairable. Tag on motor worn off, had Scott motor. Called ITM with ser. # they told me to old non serviceable and unable to help with motor id. Said needed to replace complete hydro unit. Matched up snowplow type motor local that I could retro fit but it's to small.
    Anyone had same problem? Anyone hv good used one? Or help finding replacement without exceeding value of unit. Thx Greg
    Replace the whole power pack, ie electric motor/hyd pump with a dump body power pack. Depends on the setup you will need either a single or double action unit, on a single acting unit u will need to plump the return line into the tank. Then its just a matter of wiring up, simple fix. If u need help with this pm me. Otc makes these as well as some others, might have to adjust the pressure to, however looks like you have a relief valve on the control valve. Also will likely need one with a 2 gallon tank.
    Kevin

Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default IMT Crane help

Tryagn5
    IMT said the complete unit was very pricey. But I never thought about dump body unit they might be much more reasonable. Mine is single & return is plumbed back into tank.
    I'll look into that. Might even be able to fit there motor in.
    Thx again for the help. Greg

Default single action easy..

Dump body power pack are under $400. Best yet parts are easy to get. One thing to keep in mind Is relief valve settings(pump will have seperate relief valve normal psi is 2500)as some cranes use this as the load safety system. Now only other thing is to wire in the solenoid to control the pump. Pretty simple basically the hot wire which strokes the solenoid valves to control crane movement powers the solenoid for the pump, that way pump only runs when crane functions.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck