Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need help with aws aluminum tig test.

I have been trying to practice for my AWS aluminum tig test and I've been having some issues. I'm using a Miller dynasty 350 and I'm l looking for some tips on the set up.
    I have been trying 340 amps, the frequency is at 350, and 73% balance, but I'm still having trouble getting penetration. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wow....what test? ...try adjusting the balance for more pen....
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertsavage18 View Post
    I have been trying to practice for my AWS aluminum tig test and I've been having some issues. I'm using a Miller dynasty 350 and I'm l looking for some tips on the set up.
    I have been trying 340 amps, the frequency is at 350, and 73% balance, but I'm still having trouble getting penetration. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertsavage18 View Post
    Uh, 16 gauge or 16" ?????

Griff

might drop your frequency down to about 120hz.... no more than 200hz... 350 is way too high..

what are you welding..?? how thick..??
    Last edited by H80N; 02-26-2014 at 06:48 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I typically run 200amps at 120Hz with a balance of 65-70% using a 1/8" thoriated tungsten.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

kv wall, Thoriated tungsten is not the recommended tungsten for a inverter, try using a gold band lanthanated, I prefer 3/32 for almost every thing.

I would think the aluminum plate test would be one of the easiest to do.
    good luck

Default AC Freq & Balance..

Dynasty setup is different than on a Sync... there are more things you can maladjust to get you in trouble... you will probably have to unlearn a few things...

here is a video that makes some sense of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sWFkJYV7NU

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    kv wall, Thoriated tungsten is not the recommended tungsten for a inverter, try using a gold band lanthanated, I prefer 3/32 for almost every thing.

I would think the aluminum plate test would be one of the easiest to do.
    good luck
    I'm usually doing 1/4" plate. That's why I use the 1/8" tungsten. Never heard throiated is not recommended for inverter. I'll research. Thanks for the heads up.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    I'm usually doing 1/4" plate. That's why I use the 1/8" tungsten. Never heard throiated is not recommended for inverter. I'll research. Thanks for the heads up.
    On tungsten for inverters... check out the Dyn 350 manual
    SECTION 11 − SELECTING AND PREPARING A TUNGSTENFOR DC OR AC WELDING WITH INVERTER MACHINES
    page 80

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o216869af_mil.pdf

And the Diamond Ground Tungsten Handbook.

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

Even though the Miller manual lists Thoriated Tungsten.... it is a poor last choice...

The Diamond Ground Book goes into selection and prep in much more depth..
    Last edited by H80N; 02-27-2014 at 01:29 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by H80N:317905
    might drop your frequency down to about 120hz.... no more than 200hz... 350 is way too high..

what are you welding..?? how thick..??
    Yeah the frequency is insanely high, but that is when I have been getting the best results.

I'm welding a 3/16 plate to a 1/2 plate with a fillet weld.