This was a pretty big job for me at work. School is about three yrs old and the head men just noticed this handrail was only a top rail nothing in between and there afraid a little kid is going to fall through. It's about 20 ft long at about 31 degree angle.
They couldn't get any welders to bid on it with all that new stair tread and carpet and smoke alarm systems.
They asked me if I could do it and I told I would try it. I ran a 1 1/2 by 1/4 angle iron the whole length and bolted it so the legs wouldn't move Post are concreted in so we cut them 4 inch from the bottom and hauled it to our shop. It was a lot of work did it all myself.
The one thing I learned was why I'm not get better at welding. When I started grinding I had a lot of worm holes and slag holes . So rewelded with a 6013 and 6011 1/8 and put more angle on my rod and it was better .
Ive been welding on pipe fence here at the house and other stuff but don't ever grind anything out just fill it till I think that's enough bad mistake never learned about all those slag holes and worm holes . Maybe I can do better in the future.
Were going to try to run a sleeve inside and weld beck I don't know yet how it's going to go.