Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Max output only on Syncrowave 350

After the start cycle is over the output goes to max. While this happens the amp-meter on the front of the machine reads zero.

It does the same thing when switching to *remote* and dialing the power down to 10%.

The serial number is KA754122.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

My first guess would be a failed hall device that monitors the weld output or poor connection in its harness/circuits.

Miller Customer Service doesn't like giving out Technical Manuals on HF units due to the high voltage associated with them but a call to them (920-734-9821) with your machine SN and description of operation should get you the troubleshooting assistance you need to track down the cause.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Resolution.

Thank you very much Duane for helping. You were correct. It was the Hall board. One of the soldered connections I made when I rebuilt this board last year came unstuck. I was trying to be careful not to use much heat to avoid damage to one of the traces and didn't have a good joint in one place.

The actual component that lost connection was one of the chokes.

I inspected all of the connections the other day trying to find something that had an open connection and didn't find it. I put my reading glasses on, pushed around on the components a tiny bit today, and the leg on the choke moved, identifying itself as the problem.

This board can be rebuilt except for the hall device coil (a resourceful person could probably find it). The only part hard to find was the IC, which is an RCA3193. I found those on E-Bay last year. York Electronics was able to repair the main and HF boards, but not the Hall board. Luckily I was able to replace all of the components myself.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

ETA: It's amazing how sad a guy can get when his welder is down.

That's awesome to hear you found and fixed the problem.

I know what you mean about trying to save a trace but when it can't be done or is in doubt I just use a piece of small gauge wire or even a single strand of a larger gauge as needed. In some cases I've used the long uncut lead of a replaced component as a jumper if it'll do the job.

Congrats on the fix and thanks for reporting back on what the problem was.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I know what you mean. I actually had to do that in a couple of spots when I worked on it the first time. I took some 24 gauge and tinned it, cut it to length, and bridged it across the components the damaged trace connected.

Looks ugly, but works.