Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Bobcat 250 starting question

We had tough winter here. Wile using polar power & some others jelled off 4 times.
    Went back to stanadyne cold weather add.
    Never jelled again. Proof in experience.
    Sometimes we learn the hard way.
    Had my big 40 injection pump rebuilt this winter, they sent me stanadyne add to use in it when got pump back. The guys rebuilding the pumps know what works. I did use Lucas till I learned the lesson the hard way. Now it's stanadyne only.
    Thx

Im guessing it starts at high idle because it has a constant load...the generator set. Kinda like spinning a flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by tomwelds324 View Post
    Im guessing it starts at high idle because it has a constant load...the generator set. Kinda like spinning a flywheel
    Nope. Not unless you have a circuit completed. And you should not do that until after the machine is running.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    Nope. Not unless you have a circuit completed. And you should not do that until after the machine is running.

Griff
    I think he is reffering to getting the rotating mass of the rotor up to speed, not an actual electrical load on the generator itself.

After it is idling and you are letting it warm up, to get an idea of engine temp, you can feel of the oil filter with your bare hand. The oil filter temperature is a good indication of what the general engine temp is. Nothing you can do about the high idle speed on initial start up though, like everyone else has already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Are you talking fuel or oil additive? If it is fuel them Lucas is not worth much. Stanadyne or optilube is goof fuel additive for diesels.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    Elvis: I was talking oil.
    I also agree, like stanadyne, better than Lucas and fppf etc. for fuel.
    Out of 19 additives tested in a third party blind test, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula only scored 8th out of 9 of the additives that tested better than the US Standard HFRR score of 520 and still missed the Engine Manufacturers Association desired target of 460 by 19 points. The Performance Formula didn't make the cut at all according to the test report below.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf

Disclaimer: Other independent or manufacturers tests as well as your personal results may vary.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Out of 19 additives tested in a third party blind test, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula only scored 8th out of 9 of the additives that tested better than the US Standard HFRR score of 520 and still missed the Engine Manufacturers Association desired target of 460 by 19 points. The Performance Formula didn't make the cut at all according to the test report below.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf

Disclaimer: Other independent or manufacturers tests as well as your personal results may vary.
    Thanks for the information. I much prefer to see facts rather than hearsay with no factual backup.

Griff

I hear you there Griff.

I certainly have my opinions on many things but subjects such as this need to be backed up.

I have absolutely no affiliation with the testing facility or the folks that published the results but I should add that the one FPPF and three Opti-Lube products scored in the top 5. One FPPF product and some "famous" names didn't make the cut so it's important to know the ones that did and which ones performed the best to make the most informed decision.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I run Optilube XPD in every gallon of fuel that goes through my pickup. It seems to make things quieter and smoke a bit less. I used to run stanadyne in everything until I read that study. The Optilube XPD is a bit expensive, but I buy a few gallons at a time from Synthetic Motorsports and save a few bucks off the retail price. I like it. But that doesn't mean you will.

If you read that study Biodiesel is really the best wear additive. You will still have gelling problems in the cold. And apparently some diesel engines do not like it.

Also, don't freak out. I am not associated with any of the products, retailers, studies or anything about diesel fuel additive other than an active consumer of such products.

Does using these things make everything run better? I don't know. I know that I don't run into gelling problems when I fill up with diesel in Phoenix and then drive up to 0 degree temps in the mountains. That is something.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    I'm the same!! Makes me cringe every time I start mine. I never rev a motor up till has good oil pressure and cyl. temp is up. That's basic engine 101. And if I would have reved a cold engine up as a kid a would have got slapped up side the head, & well deserved. I hate to start my Big 40 Diesel cold.
    Agreed they do last but how much longer and less repairs would u have if we're set up correct.
    I always run high quality oil and good additive such as Lucas or equivalent to keep damage at Min. Still makes me cringe every start.

I believe I've figured out how to partially reduce the fast run time after start.
    After the engine fires, and go to the "Run/idle" position, then go to "run", then back to "run/idle". As soon as you hit the run/idle position the second time, it immediately idles down.
    It reduces the fast run time to at least 1/3 of its normal fast run time had you initially stayed in the run/idle selection.
    It seems to outsmart the electronics and idles down sooner.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

I hope that's not hard on the run idle. I guess its a trade off which is harder on the unit.