Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    I hope that's not hard on the run idle. I guess its a trade off which is harder on the unit.
    Could you or someone elaborate on this run-idle system? What's the difference between me running beads and it cycling between run and idle, and I doing it with the switch?
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't know I'm just scared to mess with that switch . But I also understand your concern about running at high rpm when started up maybe some of the experts will weigh in. My bobcat is so cold natured it takes awhile to be able to idle down surge.

I would probably let it run as intended from the factory. Some engines need to be started and idled up for a bit to keep plugs from fouling amongst other things. If it was a problem miller wouldn't keep producing machines that did it. I do hear you though, I still feel weird wrapping up my Dirtbike right after starting it, but it's what works best for that instance.

I've given this a lot of thought. An air-cooled Kohler engine whether it's connected to a generator/welder, or lawn mower, other application is still a Kohler engine with all it's weaknesses when it comes to length of service. Miller is not in the engine business but the welder business. They're not interested in a engine/welder with hard starting characteristics in harsh weather conditions. So they've designed a starting setup that will not fail regardless of the complete idiot at the controls in 10 below zero weather. If the engine lasts a few hundred hours less, who cares. But I do. So I think I'll stick with the above technique I've discovered and hope I'll get more life out of the engine before I kick the bucket. IMHO
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

What proof do you have that any extra wear is being put on the motor? This is a debate I've seen on many a car forum. The truth is nobody has any legitimate way to know, so a whole bunch of opinion gets thrown around as fact. The only people who I would trust information from would be the manufacture.

Would every single car in the entire world come from the factory with a cold startup idle circuit of some kind if it was putting additional wear on the engine? I would suspect not as recalls and warranties can kill a company quick.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    What proof do you have that any extra wear is being put on the motor? This is a debate I've seen on many a car forum. The truth is nobody has any legitimate way to know, so a whole bunch of opinion gets thrown around as fact. The only people who I would trust information from would be the manufacture.

Would every single car in the entire world come from the factory with a cold startup idle circuit of some kind if it was putting additional wear on the engine? I would suspect not as recalls and warranties can kill a company quick.
    This is not the kind of wear you would see in more warranty claims or recalls. It would be more towards the end of an engines life, long after those cars have expired warranties and have had several owners.
    I've been around air cooled engines for 50 years, including aircraft engines. It is a common sense thing, and a known fact that much of an engines wear comes from initial startup.
    I use the information from the manufacturer only as a guide. I don't trust everything they say. If they could be trusted, service bulletins would not be needed.

A friend of mine didn't believe in proper warm-ups either. He would run his engine hard and fast from start in cold weather. He didn't understand why his block cracked.

P.S> One other thing, Cruizer on this forum recommends 5w-50 oil. Claims the engines will last several thousands hours longer. Why doesn't Kohler recommend that? Wouldn't want the engines to last too long, would have to cut back on manufacturing.
    Last edited by Gobysky; 04-04-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

I don't have a definite opinion on this subject but I cringe when I hear a cold engine racing, especially unloaded. That is probably a learned response from long ago. I will say this though new design engines are not old design engines nor are fuels and lubricants what they were. The older engines may well have tolerated a little carbon build up and blow-by into the oil on cold start up better than the new designs are able to, or it may be a pollution issue in which case they will readily sacrifice your engines longevity to keep emissions down. Just a couple of thoughts.---Meltedmetal

Default Bobcat 250 starting question

I resurrected an old thread, mainly because I changed out my 10w-30 oil in my Kohler with Castrol Syn 5W-50. First thing I noticed was quieter valves. As per Cruizer's recommendations, I'll start running this oil. Couldn't find Quaker 5w-50. So hopefully this will work well, and live long.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gobysky View Post
    I resurrected an old thread, mainly because I changed out my 10w-30 oil in my Kohler with Castrol Syn 5W-50. First thing I noticed was quieter valves. As per Cruizer's recommendations, I'll start running this oil. Couldn't find Quaker 5w-50. So hopefully this will work well, and live long.
    Actually no on the 5-50 anymore as all the zinc additive has been removed, go to Quaker state "DEFY", or even better a quality motorcycle oil. as for pesky recomendations. Kohler says that there engine needs a rebuild at 2500 hrs. My many many rig welders are exceeding that figure to 10K -12K hours. no glitches, zero problems. And they work thier machines hard!

All this oil BS is nuts, I post the info, you guys can take it for what its worth, or don't.
    Last edited by cruizer; 08-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I've seen guys use that STUPID idle switch, Complete WASTE of time!! Full flow PROPER filter that oil is pumped within a 1/10 of a second on a freezing or hot day. Besides it simply isn't starting without oil pressure anyways