Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bobcat 250 starting question

This is the first Bobcat I've owned. Right after initial start it runs fast then after a few seconds it finally idles down. Never thought running cold engines wide open when they're cold was good for them. Is there anyway to adjust that out to allow a proper slow speed warm up?
    I guess the fact that they've been running for thousands of hours without problems settles the argument, but it just goes against what I've been taught about running cold air cooled engines hard right after initial start.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

I agree. I cringe when starting mine in the winter but that's how they are.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

My Trailblazer does the same thing. I bought it new and it has done this since day one. Sort of like cars with a carburetor the butterfly stays closed until the engine warms up.

I'm the same!! Makes me cringe every time I start mine. I never rev a motor up till has good oil pressure and cyl. temp is up. That's basic engine 101. And if I would have reved a cold engine up as a kid a would have got slapped up side the head, & well deserved. I hate to start my Big 40 Diesel cold.
    Agreed they do last but how much longer and less repairs would u have if we're set up correct.
    I always run high quality oil and good additive such as Lucas or equivalent to keep damage at Min. Still makes me cringe every start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobysky View Post
    This is the first Bobcat I've owned. Right after initial start it runs fast then after a few seconds it finally idles down. Never thought running cold engines wide open when they're cold was good for them. Is there anyway to adjust that out to allow a proper slow speed warm up?
    I guess the fact that they've been running for thousands of hours without problems settles the argument, but it just goes against what I've been taught about running cold air cooled engines hard right after initial start.
    I was taught the same as you. However, with age, experience, and education, I have learned this is the best way to start these engines.

Let the howling begin.

Griff

P.S.
    Take Cruizer's advice and switch your oil to Castrol Syntec 5w50
    Last edited by griff01; 03-08-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge:318384
    I'm the same!! Makes me cringe every time I start mine. I never rev a motor up till has good oil pressure and cyl. temp is up. That's basic engine 101. And if I would have reved a cold engine up as a kid a would have got slapped up side the head, & well deserved. I hate to start my Big 40 Diesel cold.
    Agreed they do last but how much longer and less repairs would u have if we're set up correct.
    I always run high quality oil and good additive such as Lucas or equivalent to keep damage at Min. Still makes me cringe every start.
    Are you talking fuel or oil additive? If it is fuel them Lucas is not worth much. Stanadyne or optilube is goof fuel additive for diesels.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    I was taught the same as you. However, with age, experience, and education, I have learned this is the best way to start these engines.

Let the howling begin.

Griff

P.S.
    Take Cruizer's advice and switch your oil to Castrol Syntec 5w50

I have the gas engine. Was that 5w50 meant for the gas or the diesel?
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Gobysky View Post
    I have the gas engine. Was that 5w50 meant for the gas or the diesel?
    I know he recommends the 5w50 for the gas engines but I am not sure about the diesels.

Griff

Elvis: I was talking oil.
    I also agree, like stanadyne, better than Lucas and fppf etc. for fuel.

Gnforge,
    Sounds good. There seem to be a lot of people that assume that a big company that makes a fuel additive must make it well. Lucas, amsoil and the like don't make a good diesel fuel additive. Only a couple that are worth anything.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...