Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Unhappy Onan Engine no start

My tractor is down for the first time in over 20 years. I need to know the repair procedure for replacing the starting rectifier behind the flywheel of my 4018 Onan engine #K88347J987 Model Onana P218G-I/0461B. It will not start, no spark coming out of the coil. I have a new coil, spark plug wires, and am getting good voltage to the coil, nothing coming out. I have been told it is probably the ignition module. Please help. My local Ingersoll dealer is worthless....

Not quite sure what you mean by starting rectifier but to pull the flywheel you just need to remove the centerbolt and washer, reinstall the bolt to push against and use the appropriate puller (steeringwheel style works) to pull the flywheel. Ignition module and battery charging stator are located under the flywheel. Module held on by two machine screws and the stator by three.

If you go to http://onanparts.com/ you can request a service manual from TJ.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

To check the ignition module, do the following:

1) Connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to the negative (larger) post of the ignition coil.
    2) Connect the negative lead of the voltmeter to engine ground.
    3) Turn ignition switch on and rotate engine slowly by hand.
    4) Watch voltmeter which should show voltage change from battery voltage to 1-1.5volts once each revolution.

If there is no voltage change, the ignition module is defective.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-25-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: corrected conclusion statement to read "no voltage change"
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

And when you replace the module don't forget the little insulator that goes behind it. ask me how i learned this

Default Need more info

Thanks to you both for the quick response. I sent you both a personal e-mail with a few more questions. Thanks again for the help...

Default 69 ford

Can I e-mail you regarding the insulator on the onan engine ignition pick up?
    I have no spark and I think its something to do with insulating it but nit sure because I dont have an insulator on mine?
    TY

Quote Originally Posted by 69FordTruck View Post
    And when you replace the module don't forget the little insulator that goes behind it. ask me how i learned this

Ahhh 4 year old post