Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd say that you can probably teach yourself TIG....but

It'll be easier if you have had some experience with other forms of welding. It will be frustrating and expensive. You can expect to wreck a lot tungsten electrodes in the process. (You do have a way to grind tungstens don't you?) You'll also go through a lot of Argon since a lot of starts and stops tends to eat up the Argon.

I think you'll find resources such as "Welding Tips and Tricks" on YouTube to be helpful to you as will be a coach of some sort to give you some suggestions.

However, once accomplished, I think you'll enjoy your new hobby.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
    I'd say that you can probably teach yourself TIG....but

It'll be easier if you have had some experience with other forms of welding. It will be frustrating and expensive. You can expect to wreck a lot tungsten electrodes in the process. (You do have a way to grind tungstens don't you?) You'll also go through a lot of Argon since a lot of starts and stops tends to eat up the Argon.

I think you'll find resources such as "Welding Tips and Tricks" on YouTube to be helpful to you as will be a coach of some sort to give you some suggestions.

However, once accomplished, I think you'll enjoy your new hobby.
    I've never been in the same room with an accomplished Tig welder. I'm becoming a skilled welder, I wish I had been able to say these things 40 years ago. It wasn't possible 40 years ago. You see TIG is a skill you can't teach yourself. By the time you figure it out, you die of old age. You need to get a boost from those who know, to do it in one lifetime! That's where You tube and DVD videos make it all possible. Jody Collier, Chuck E 2009,(Lanse .....), and several others along with a multitude of generous people on this and similar forums, make it possible for an isolated woodchuck in VT to learn from the best there is worldwide without leaving home. Buy Jody's videos, go to you tube, ask stupid questions on forums, and practice! Learning will come!
    That was fact. Now you get opinion: DON'T WASTE MONEY ON CHEAP WELDERS! Good welders don't require vast skill to make good welds. Jody can grab a crap welder, make allowances, and produce OK welds, I can't.

You said it perfectly willie. Spend a little more money up front, and have a machine that can truly perform properly. A used diversion would fit your needs well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    You said it perfectly willie. Spend a little more money up front, and have a machine that can truly perform properly. A used diversion would fit your needs well.
    I have a Diversion 180 with accessories, a costly first step into TIG. Its duty cycle severely limits me in the mass of weldments and the length of bead. In this sense I am not a patient man. I joke that if I were a heavy smoker, or even a text er I would love the Diversion. In a few months I bought a Dialarc HF 250 Tig Runner, if it has a duty cycle I wouldn't know it. I never wait for the welder! This is a problem only with large mass aluminum pieces, steel's lower rate of heat conductivity makes the problem disappear.
    Diversions ability to run on 120 volts, and more importantly, its ability to run on 200-240 volts make it wonderful on the job! I can run it on 200' of extension cord, it doesn't mind voltage drop! On steel it is more than enough welder. Portability is exceptional, and TIG with silicone bronze is spark free, an important consideration at the pellet mill where combustible dust is a factor.
    I want to peddle both and move to a Dynasty 280 DX TIG Runner. If anyone has an interest in either of these, Send me a message.
    The moral of this lengthy story is BUY THE BEST, SAVE TIME AND MONEY!
    Last edited by WillieB; 03-08-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have a Diversion 180 with accessories, a costly first step into TIG. Its duty cycle severely limits me in the mass of weldments and the length of bead. In this sense I am not a patient man. I joke that if I were a heavy smoker, or even a text er I would love the Diversion. In a few months I bought a Dialarc HF 250 Tig Runner, if it has a duty cycle I wouldn't know it. I never wait for the welder! This is a problem only with large mass aluminum pieces, steels lower rate of heat conductivity makes the problem disappear.
    Diversions ability to run on 120 volts and more importantly its ability to run on 200-240 volts make it wonderful on the job! I can run it on 200' of extension cord, it doesn't mind voltage drop! On steel it is more than enough welder. Portability is exceptional, and TIG with silicone bronze is spark free, an important consideration at the pellet mill where combustible dust is a factor.
    I want to peddle both and move to a Dynasty 280 DX TIG Runner. If anyone has an interest in either of these, Send me a message.
    The moral of this lengthy story is BUY THE BEST, SAVE MONEY!
    Well put Willie...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I have a Miller HF 250 that I use for TIG. Steel was no problem. I have been around some very good welders n my time. I had an idea how things went and were supposed to look like. The machine truly does not seem to have a duty cycle. I have around 16 hours time on Aluminum, 2 X 330 cf Argon tanks, assuming 12 hours usage on each tank. I think I am starting to get the hang of Aluminum, but every now and then it seems to kick my butt any time it wants too. Hardest part for me seems to be depth perception and gagging the tungsten. Everything seems to be getting better just not really fast. I don't get to use the TIG everyday and it shows. The best advice I could give a less experienced welder would be, Put the filler in the front of the puddle, and cleanliness is really that important. Hard to wet out the metal through an oily spot. Keep practicing.

I'm surprised no-one wrote about welding inside a house and worse, a condo.

If the guy next door in a condo that i own was welding i definately wouldn't be happy and i suppose other neighborgs , fire dept, owners syndicate and your local authorities wouldn't approve.

what have you forseen against noise, smoke, sparks, grinding dust from what you weld and from sharpening your tungsten, argon ventilation.

It's possible to eat and sleep in a well vented fire proofed and clean welding shop.

It's not advisable to practice welding where you eat and sleep.

just my .02 good luck

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    THIS^ very bad idea.

Everyone is different but to do this successfully on your own you will need 3 things.
    1. ALOT of money.
    2. ALOT of time.
    3. ALOT of patience.
    oh and some prayer will be helpful also.
    America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

If the guy next door in a condo that i own was welding i definately wouldn't be happy and i suppose other neighborgs , fire dept, owners syndicate and your local authorities wouldn't approve.

what have you forseen against noise, smoke, sparks, grinding dust from what you weld and from sharpening your tungsten, argon ventilation.

It's possible to eat and sleep in a well vented fire proofed and clean welding shop.

It's not advisable to practice welding where you eat and sleep.

just my .02 good luck
    It is my hope that the weld in your condo types all have spouses or someone else with more sense! Any who don't have guardian angels.
    That being said, I TIG in my cellar all winter. Precautions must be taken! You need ventilation. All combustible dust must be removed, all easily ignited materials such as paper and volitile chemicals removed. Plural fire extinguishers mounted at each doorway, and near table. I have a short garden hose close. My stop welding procedure is lengthy, turn off the gas, tidy up, turn off the helmet, turn off power to the welder. Turn off the lights, look around, leave. Ten minutes later come back to be sure nothing is amiss.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by regal2800 View Post
    Does your condo have a garage suitable for welding? I wouldn't start welding in your living room
    I am kinda hoping that the OP was looking at the garage option...

not some of the sillier dangerous ones...

inside the living space would be one of the more dangerous/unsuitable options as many have pointed out...

Can you say "911".....???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..