Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

welder00.

Yes, you can learn to tig on your own but it's going to be tough.
    If you can, find a mentor or someone who can show you some tricks and buy him/her dinner..
    I was lucky and my mentor showed me in 2 minutes what would have taken me 2 hours to learn by trial and error.

My suggestions,

1 - See if a local vo-tech or adult evening school offers a welding class.

2 - Find a local welding shop who may allow you to "look and learn."
    Insurance and legal issues for the shop may not allow this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3 - I probably shouldn't say this but....if your budget is truly tight, you could buy this Harbor Freight 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder - Item # 91110 for $149.99 and put the remaining $150 toward a good tig torch and regulator. Then as your budget and expertise grows, you can upgrade to Blue.

( I will admit to being a traitor to Miller as I have one of these myself. Bought it several years ago for $99.00) as I needed to do a small 10 minute stainless tig job where there was only 120 volts available. Couldn't justify a Maxstar 150. I now loan it out to friends who want to try learning stick welding and I consider this a "consumable" welder much like 6010 electrodes. If it fries, it fries.)

Be aware that you get what you pay for.

4 - Finally - if you have a chance to use high quality equipment,
    I believe you will see the difference and it will make the learning experience much easier.

Here are 2 links to previous threads which may be useful.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=mentor

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ht=burnt+hands

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Smile

I am sure that there are a bunch of us here that are self taught...

the downside is that we also taught ourselves a bunch of bad habits that later had to be unlearned because we just did not know any better... and had nobody looking over our shoulder giving advice/critique....I know I sure did.

back when I learned in the late 1960's the only textbook/learning aid was the Lincoln welding book... and it had all of about 10 pages on TIG..(or Heli Arc as it was popularly called)

These days there is an incredible amount of free resources...

fer instance..

Here is a collection of 200 TIG videos that will bathe you in enough TIG info to make your head explode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5m9-...CbdVnrg-f3p3kT

you will still have to Practice.. Practice.. Practice..

and study.... but you should find good examples and info..
    Last edited by H80N; 03-11-2014 at 08:35 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default can you learn TIG by yourself on your own???

Yes it's possible, but you will do so much better with a mentor to help you with some basics. The GTAW process is the most difficult to learn, takes a lot of hours to be proficient at, and decades to master. If you want to learn, fist buy a brand name machine, you get what you pay for. Next, weld anything and everything you can get your hands on. Read books, watch videos, find others to watch you weld and give you pointers. Remember, only weld with adequate ventilation in an area not susceptible to fire or damage able by smoke or sparks.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I am sure that there are a bunch of us here that are self taught...

the downside is that we also taught ourselves a bunch of bad habits that later had to be unlearned because we just did not know any better... and had nobody looking over our shoulder giving advice/critique....I know I sure did.

back when I learned in the late 1960's the only textbook/learning aid was the Lincoln welding book... and it had all of about 10 pages on TIG..(or Heli Arc as it was popularly called)

These days there is an incredible amount of free resources...

fer instance..

Here is a collection of 200 TIG videos that will bathe you in enough TIG info to make your head explode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5m9-...CbdVnrg-f3p3kT

you will still have to Practice.. Practice.. Practice..

and study.... but you should find good examples and info..
    I have the Lincoln Book "Metals And How To Weld Them". While it refers to MIG and TIG as processes too expensive for ferrous metals, it is invaluable as a reference resource. Last night someone had a problem welding copper, out came the book. A 60 year old book able to provide information is a rare thing.