Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

welder00.

Yes, you can learn to tig on your own but it's going to be tough.
    If you can, find a mentor or someone who can show you some tricks and buy him/her dinner..
    I was lucky and my mentor showed me in 2 minutes what would have taken me 2 hours to learn by trial and error.

My suggestions,

1 - See if a local vo-tech or adult evening school offers a welding class.

2 - Find a local welding shop who may allow you to "look and learn."
    Insurance and legal issues for the shop may not allow this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3 - I probably shouldn't say this but....if your budget is truly tight, you could buy this Harbor Freight 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder - Item # 91110 for $149.99 and put the remaining $150 toward a good tig torch and regulator. Then as your budget and expertise grows, you can upgrade to Blue.

( I will admit to being a traitor to Miller as I have one of these myself. Bought it several years ago for $99.00) as I needed to do a small 10 minute stainless tig job where there was only 120 volts available. Couldn't justify a Maxstar 150. I now loan it out to friends who want to try learning stick welding and I consider this a "consumable" welder much like 6010 electrodes. If it fries, it fries.)

Be aware that you get what you pay for.

4 - Finally - if you have a chance to use high quality equipment,
    I believe you will see the difference and it will make the learning experience much easier.

Here are 2 links to previous threads which may be useful.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=mentor

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ht=burnt+hands

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !