Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 211 MVP and gen question?

Hello all
    I got a Millermatic 211 a few years ago and am a self-taught hobby welder.
    What I would like to know is can I run my welder off a generator with out the fear of it damaging my welder? side note the gen I'm looking at runs at 7500 watts so i should be good for the power.

Not sure about this but am interested in the responses.

Here's a couple about it. There maybe more if you want to do a search.
    Most important is to have generator run full speed constantly. Do not use idle setting so when you start to weld it will rev up. Balls out all the time.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=generator+211

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=generator+211

Assuming the generator is putting out 7500 watts at 240vac then it is producing 31.25 amps. That should run a 211 fine.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Thx for the help. I forgot to mention that the gen I'm looking at has a automatic voltage regulator on it so I'm guessing that should help keep the current stable. Now I just need to see if there is an override for the auto throttle

Maybe this summer I'll finally get to make a new wood stove so my dad can keep making maple syrup the one being used now is god know how old and has been warping slowly over the years because of how hot he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuckey View Post
    Thx for the help. I forgot to mention that the gen I'm looking at has a automatic voltage regulator on it so I'm guessing that should help keep the current stable. Now I just need to see if there is an override for the auto throttle

Maybe this summer I'll finally get to make a new wood stove so my dad can keep making maple syrup the one being used now is god know how old and has been warping slowly over the years because of how hot he gets it.
    I'm in the middle of building my third one...with that welder.
    My only suggestion, be careful who you show it to or you will be building them for everyone you know...lol
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Default I'd have a grounding concern

I have a concern about powering a 211 from any source that becomes more bewildering (to me) when a generator is involved.

the problem, which admittedly is in my head and probably isn't really a problem at all, comes from how the 211's plug(s) are wired and how buildings are wired, and then how generators are wired. It's their grounds.

Normally when you wire a 120 volt receptacle there will be a hot wire that will be black or red and there will be a neutral wire that will be white and there will be a bare wire that will be the ground. The hot wire will ultimately connect to one of the plug's large flat terminals, the neutral wire to the other flat terminal, and the ground wire will connect to the smaller half round terminal. Somewhere in the buildings power system, back at what is called the service entry, the Neutral wire and the ground are "bonded" by means of a small green screw which connects the two together electrically. It's normally about a number 8 screw.

On the 240 volt side normally over the various plug configurations available you have two hot wires (one red and the other black), a white neutral wire, and the bare ground wire. In most plugs each hot wire goes to an individual terminal as does the neutral and finally the ground goes to its own terminal as well.

But the 240 volt plug used with the MM211 is different. Its outlet does not use the neutral wire. One hot wire (say Red) goes to one flat terminal, the other hot wire goes to the other flat terminal, and the small half-round terminal is connected to the bare ground wire. The white wire is not used anywhere. So in order for the welder to get any power at all it has to rely on that little green bonding screw.

In a building circuit that means the ground wire, which may be smaller than the other wires in the circuit, will have to do double duty, acting as both the grounding and neutral pathways. Running off of a portable generator everything should be about the same except for one thing. How many of them have you ever seen set up and running that was in any way grounded? I ask because with a Miller 211 running off a portable generator at 240 volts the generator's neutral line isn't being used at all, with the welder putting its demand on the ground wire, which may or may not be bonded inside the generator, but in any event is not at all likely to actually be "grounded" to the earth or much of anything else. Actually I guess if your generator isn't internally bonded the welder won't work anyway.

just something to think about.

A couple things: L1, L2, and ground are used in 240vac single phase welding applications. For example, the 6-50P that comes standard on many welders uses L1, L2 and Ground. The standard colors are black, white and green. Much like a 120vac application. The welder runs off the two hot leads. If you measure the potential to ground from either hot you get 115-120vac. That doesn't really matter as the welder using using both hot leads to get ~240vac. The ground isn't used during normal operation. It is a path for electricity to run in a bad situation, not a normal conductor.

When you reference machines that run 4-wire 240vac plugs and cords, typically household things like dryers or stoves, these devices include a neutral so that they can make 120vac circuits internally, therefore using the neutral wire.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...