Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As long as your extension cord is 10 ga or bigger you are good to go! Nicely done!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

National Electrical Code Is adopted by each state with or without amendments. In every state I am aware of, all equipment used must be listed. What this means to us is: if it ain't mass produced any liability falls to you. When you cut a listed (UL or CSA) cord nothing bad better happen, or it's your fault.That said, will anything bad happen? You better know the answer! I often make up equipment to solve a problem, I know that each time I do I accept liability for not only what I do, but anyone else later does with it. I alter a cord, someone then shuts it in a garage door, a court of law is likely to rule that had I not altered the cord, Dumb Dumb wouldn't have been using it to do something dumb, wouldn't have shut it in the door! After all, Dumb Dumb has no insurance or assets, what would the point of blaming him?

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    On Millers literature, welder amperage seems low to me. Am I stuck in the twentieth century, or are the numbers adjusted down for duty factor? My thinking is the perennial problem so many at home welders face is small wiring to the garage. In mild cases this can be addressed with welders equipped with "auto line" style automatic voltage adaptation. In less extreme situations more current in a supply line means more heat produced, and more voltage loss. As many welders can run on 200 volts, voltage loss isn't always debilitating. Voltage loss means heat! heat produced in 2 minutes can often cool while a 20% duty cycle welder cools.

IT IS STILL ESSENTIAL TO CALCULATE ALL COMPONENTS OF A WELDER SUPPLY AND CAREFULLY INSTALL OR CHECK. A BAD CONNECTION MEANS A FIRE USUALLY IN A LOCATION YOU WON'T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
    Willie

the numbers seem right to me....got them from the literature and manuals...
    remember.. both machines are inverters so they are going to draw considerably less power than the transformer machines we are used to..

it does go to show how much more efficient the inverters are... and power factor considerations on the transformer machines that we don't need to worry about on an inverter..

Here is a video that gives a lot of good general info on home garage welding.. (fair amount of sales pitch ... but a lot of good info as well)
    Starring.. Andy & John...

Welding in your Home Garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSdTtwN4i0

about a half hour..
    Is the 211 an inverter? I always thought the multimatic was the first small all in one mig to be an inverter. And that's why it's so much lighter.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Is the 211 an inverter? I always thought the multimatic was the first small all in one mig to be an inverter. And that's why it's so much lighter.
    I think I may have been mistaken I had read in a few places that the MM211 was an inverter.... BUT... other places say transformer.... and at 74 pounds... I am begining to suspect it is a transformer/SCR controlled machine...

have been unable to download the manual... so I will defer that to somebody who knows for sure....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

8 awg is the size !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox:318374
    8 awg is the size !!
    Oh yeah, that will work!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...