Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just my personal opinion but I don't like Prostar wire. I have tried it twice, although not that exact one, & it just doesn't flow well. I would recommend setting up your feeder for .045 flux core (gasless & gas). .035 is kinda small for using around the farm on machinery etc. I like Hobart 21b in gasless & esab 7100 ultra with gas. I also like Triple 7 with gas.

Since you are running stick off the Bobcat I would switch to 7018.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default welds..

Not to start a war here, but i would teach your welder how to weld with his current setup before you give him another procese to learn. Thoose welds are terrible, they are cold, have poor appearance, and do not speak very highly of the work in your shop.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

These fillet welds were done with 1 pass of .045 Excel Arc 71 and 75/25. Slag removed with a quick pass from a needle scaler.

Tank 29 supports 002.jpgTank 29 supports 003.jpg
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Not to start a war here, but i would teach your welder how to weld with his current setup before you give him another procese to learn. Thoose welds are terrible, they are cold, have poor appearance, and do not speak very highly of the work in your shop.
    Kevin
    Challenging to do this. I'm inexperienced in the field. Mechanic has been welding on/off for farm machinery repair & fabrication for longer than I have breathed air. Here's the settings he was using on the Bobcat...6013 1/8 electrode

60-160A
    Amerage 4

I asked him about the weld being too "cool" and he showed me that it's "biting" in to the material along the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Kevin

Right, no offense intended but those are not going to work out in a commercial environment for long. "Maybe" a farmer making an emergency field fix, maybe not.
    You are ripe for the picking for any kid with mediocre-decent skills who's been to the local community college welding program and owns a chop saw and a buzz box.
    That's a pretty harsh end product. The material is cut to size and the paint appears nice.
    Not trying to steal your joy, but really, reconsider trying to sell those welds. Posting settings or going to a different (more expensive) process isn't going to help.
    Time welding does not equal a saleable product.
    Get a new welder, with medium type skills, and go to town. Even if he's a 18 year old, that guys years of experience are not gonna work if you intend to make any money.
    Just my take, I'd be out of business if I was selling those, even in AgLand.

J

Those welds are "biting", but not in a good way. There really is a floor even in lower cost work.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default "Stick to It"

You certainly can't go wrong with 7018.......the workhorse of the industry.....

I appreciate the feedback. Can you guys look at a hitch we built for our F350 service truck? This is the same mechanic, but using a Millermatic MIG setup. Does this look like a better finish job to you? Thanks

well, I don't want to start a fight ether but if that was a welder working for me, it would be the first and last day.
    I run Lincoln 233 1/16 in my suitcase, love it. way better then 21b
    with gas the tri 7 is good. hard wire is hard wire.
    the only rod to be burning it 7018 unless it needs to be 11018.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Oh my god. That last picture...And that thing is Rollin on down the road!

I am on my phone so it is hard to see some of the pictures. But the last one... holy undercut! That is one giant stress riser right where the tongue weight sits on an unknown weight trailer being pulled by a 1-ton truck?

I'm glad you are posting pictures and learning, but you should learn from someone else. Those welds are not okay.

Go spend some time on weldingtipsandtricks.com and see what jodi has to show you. That should give some perspective.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...