Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bobcat 250 EFI + 12VS Extreme Flux Core to Bottle

Greetings community! Please bear with me, as my mechanic is the gifted welder, and I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to welding terminology & knowledge.

Our farm equipment business purchased a Miller Bobcat 250 EFI Generator/Welder, along with a Suitcase 12VS Extreme awhile back. The company outfitted us with flux-core wire for welding in the "field" where we have to deal with wind issues.

We have the unit set up as best as we can (settings) for the flux core wire, but still deal with weld quality & splattery weld. We are building some small trailer hitches using 6013 & arc welding, but my mechanic wants to speed up the process by changing to wire for in-shop build projects.

From what I understand, all I need to do is add a bottle/regulator, and change wire. Does this sound right? I assume the 250 + 12VS is a good setup for us to run for in-shop build projects, running a bottle & co2?

Thanks,
    Nate

Welcome Aboard..

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarnNate View Post
    From what I understand, all I need to do is add a bottle/regulator, and change wire. Does this sound right? I assume the 250 + 12VS is a good setup for us to run for in-shop build projects, running a bottle & co2?

Thanks,
    Nate
    You will also need to flip the polarity

Electrode Positive (DCEP): For solid steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or flux core with gas wires (GMAW).

Electrode Negative
    (DCEN): Reverse lead connectionsat terminals from that shown above for gasless flux core wires (FCAW).

This MIG booklet might be helpful too

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/mig_handbook.pdf
    Last edited by H80N; 03-04-2014 at 05:39 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Some run co2, some run 75% argon-25%co2. If your looking for less spatter and such, the 75/25 is probably more what your looking for.

You can also run .068 or .072 233 or 232 innershield. I can weld out 1/4" 10' long in about 45 min. Also use 212 .045 wire. I run all that thru a suitcase.

Set up/use is slightly different for inner shield wires (no gas) vs. flux core with gas. Different stick out, voltage, wire speed etc. for the same size wire. Properly set up you should get very minimal spatter with gas & not much more with inner shield. Look up the parameters for the wire you are using & start there.

Yes you can get a bottle of gas to hook to your feeder. Again read the manufacturers specs for the wire you have chosen & start with that. Different brands of wire run differently. Skip the .068 wire as your machine is to small for that & run .045.

You need to weigh the extra labor cost of using stick vs. the wear & tear on an engine drive, gas used & noise to see if it worth while in the shop. I would ditch the 6013 for 7018 if you have an ac/dc machine. If this is something you will do quite often then I would look into getting a shop mig such as a 252.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Don't forget to use V-GROOVE drive rolls for solid wire

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg340 View Post
    Don't forget to use V-GROOVE drive rolls for solid wire
    Yes & v-groove knurled rollers for both gas & gasless flux core wires.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Here is the wire that I mentioned above, that we currently have installed...

ProStar Gasless Flux Cored Carbon Steel
    Alloy: E71T-GS
    Wire Dia: .035"
    Stock: PRSS222308-722
    Heat: S037031

Here is what we are currently building at our shop. We have complete 1 & it is being used currently, and are just finishing up 2 more. We will most likely be building 10 more. The customer wanted a hitch that was bulkier & stronger than a locally sourced cheap alternative. He uses them on compact CAT 1 tractors that pull fruit bin trailers for cherry harvest.

An operator can more easily load/unload/hook up to trailers running the hitch off 3 point. Also, this places the pivot point of the trailer "further back" from the tractor, allowing for tighter turns without binding & tire rub.

The builder is grinding welded surfaces to a "v" prior to welding. He is making 2 passes with 1/8" 6013 on our bobcat 250.

The weld in the last pic looks kind of cold.