Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dynasty 200dx and millermatic 211 wiring in the garage

i have a dynasty 200dx that i use onsite once in a while but i alsouse it in the garage where i got a twist lock 230v30amp receptacle on the wall and 30amp breaker!
    the Dynasty runs awesome on that!

now what if i decide to use the millermatic 211? can i just make a pigtail on the welder to match the wall receptacle? is 230v 30a alright to use the millermatic 211?
    or must i change everything on the wall and breaker.......

Just make an adaptor pigtail...

guys that do a lot of onsite work generally have several pigtails that adapt from 6-50 to various range and dryer plugs..
    you can never be sure what you have to plug in to when you get someplace...

so yes adapter pigtails are a common solution....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I have 4 or 5 adapter pigtails I use all the time on job sites.

I knew that the Dynasty you could,wasnt sure about the millermatic 211..
    Last edited by Rhinox; 03-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.

thanks...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    I knew that the Dynasty you could,wasnt sure about the millermatic 211..
    They are both in the same ballpark..

The Millermatic 211 draws 230 V, 25 A, 60 Hz, Single-Phase

The Dynasty 200DX draws 230 V, 28 A, 60 Hz, Single-Phase

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

On Millers literature, welder amperage seems low to me. Am I stuck in the twentieth century, or are the numbers adjusted down for duty factor? My thinking is the perennial problem so many at home welders face is small wiring to the garage. In mild cases this can be addressed with welders equipped with "auto line" style automatic voltage adaptation. In less extreme situations more current in a supply line means more heat produced, and more voltage loss. As many welders can run on 200 volts, voltage loss isn't always debilitating. Voltage loss means heat! heat produced in 2 minutes can often cool while a 20% duty cycle welder cools.

IT IS STILL ESSENTIAL TO CALCULATE ALL COMPONENTS OF A WELDER SUPPLY AND CAREFULLY INSTALL OR CHECK. A BAD CONNECTION MEANS A FIRE USUALLY IN A LOCATION YOU WON'T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    On Millers literature, welder amperage seems low to me. Am I stuck in the twentieth century, or are the numbers adjusted down for duty factor? My thinking is the perennial problem so many at home welders face is small wiring to the garage. In mild cases this can be addressed with welders equipped with "auto line" style automatic voltage adaptation. In less extreme situations more current in a supply line means more heat produced, and more voltage loss. As many welders can run on 200 volts, voltage loss isn't always debilitating. Voltage loss means heat! heat produced in 2 minutes can often cool while a 20% duty cycle welder cools.

IT IS STILL ESSENTIAL TO CALCULATE ALL COMPONENTS OF A WELDER SUPPLY AND CAREFULLY INSTALL OR CHECK. A BAD CONNECTION MEANS A FIRE USUALLY IN A LOCATION YOU WON'T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
    Willie

the numbers seem right to me....got them from the literature and manuals...
    remember.. both machines are inverters so they are going to draw considerably less power than the transformer machines we are used to..

it does go to show how much more efficient the inverters are... and power factor considerations on the transformer machines that we don't need to worry about on an inverter..

Here is a video that gives a lot of good general info on home garage welding.. (fair amount of sales pitch ... but a lot of good info as well)
    Starring.. Andy & John...

Welding in your Home Garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSdTtwN4i0

about a half hour..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

got the millermatic 211 plugged in!!
    work like a champ!
    -tell me if i did some not right!

bought an extension cord 25' with 2 ends on it
    -6-50r and the other end was 6-50p
    -removed the 6-50p and replaced it with a 6-30p
    twistlock to match the wall !!!

the wall , is 230v30amp as well the breaker

plugged it and tried it... worked very well!!

what you think????
    any danger??

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    got the millermatic 211 plugged in!!
    work like a champ!
    -tell me if i did some not right!

bought an extension cord 25' with 2 ends on it
    -6-50r and the other end was 6-50p
    -removed the 6-50p and replaced it with a 6-30p
    twistlock to match the wall !!!

the wall , is 230v30amp as well the breaker

plugged it and tried it... worked very well!!

what you think????
    any danger??
    yer good to go.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender