Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Forney Inverter help needed

Long story short. My dad let me try out his little inverter welder and I pushed it harder than should. It is a Forney AT-100 inverter stick/ TIG unit. I was trying it out with 3/32 7018 rod maxed out. About 3" of weld total. I then waited 5 minutes and ran 3" of 6013 when it turned off. Is it true Forney slapped their name on the Harbor Freight equivalent ? I can't get it to run again. It also has a constant on fan that will not run. Any info would be great. I just don't want to tell him his poor little welder was burnt up by me. Oddly enough the thing had great penetration on prepped and beveled 1/4" box steel

You may have cooked the thermal overload switch...

I believe that USMCPOP has one of those little Chinese Forneys...

maybe he could shed some light on your problem

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I never had a Forney AT-100. My son had a little Harbor Freight inverter but sold it. I believe Forney had trouble with those welders. A lot of them showed up on eBay really cheap when they were discontinued.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974 vintage)
    Syncrowave 250
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    I never had a Forney AT-100. My son had a little Harbor Freight inverter but sold it. I believe Forney had trouble with those welders. A lot of them showed up on eBay really cheap when they were discontinued.
    Sorry Pop

Thought you had one of them..

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I had a TA Dragster 85 I got for $50. then flipped it and got the TA 161STL. Gave that to my son, the welder.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974 vintage)
    Syncrowave 250
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Default Forney Inverter help needed

I appreciate getting back to me about that. Are there any wiring diagrams out there for the HF models?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas113 View Post
    I appreciate getting back to me about that. Are there any wiring diagrams out there for the HF models?
    Did find a link to Forney customer service

https://www.forneyind.com/customer_service/

Hopefully they could help you...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I bought one for sport to see if a 100$ welder worked,,, yes and no. It is a 3/32 6011 unit period. Its not efficient enough to run a 3/32 lo hi. Not worth messing with a fix. For another 100 or so someone,,, green maybe, makes one a lot better.