Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default maxel 4943 aluminum filler wire

has any body been using the 4943 filler I am about to build an airboat hull with 1/8th 5052 aluminum sheet and will be using it on ice in Michigan I like the idea of it being stronger then the 4043 with same characteristics what would be the best filler for my project thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 76jeep0 View Post
    has any body been using the 4943 filler I am about to build an airboat hull with 1/8th 5052 aluminum sheet and will be using it on ice in Michigan I like the idea of it being stronger then the 4043 with same characteristics what would be the best filler for my project thanks
    Have you read this thread on 4943..??

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4943

Here is another thread.. this one about using 4943 filler on 5052..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...m-which-filler

Am hoping Galen White of Hobart/Maxal can chime in and give us more insight on suitability in a marine environment..
    Last edited by H80N; 03-02-2014 at 09:52 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

yes I did I was hoping to get some more up to date info with that filler

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Am hoping Galen White of Hobart/Maxal can chime in and give us more insight on suitability in a marine environment..
    I had sent a note to Galen:

Galen

Could you give us some insight on how 4943 will behave in marine environments with 5052..??

knowing that some fillers will oxidize to white powder under saltwater and other marine environments…

He sent me a couple of quick notes back

Heiti,

I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my laptop and I can't reply to the post with my iphone for some reason. I'll try to get on tonight and reply. FYI 5052 and 4943 are very compatible as far as corrosion resistance goes. Actually most pontoons on pontoon boats are 5052 welded with 4043 and the hold up very well in both fresh and saltwater. ....

Feel free to share my response with the forum. 4943's corrosion performance will be nearly identically to 4043 and would be given a 'B' rating when used to weld 5052. 5356 has an 'A' corrosion resistance rating when welding 5052 and will have a slightly better color match. .....

Regards,

Galen

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

thanks for the reply my concern is more the strength and flex of the filler being that the project is a ice airboat lots of vibration

Quote Originally Posted by 76jeep0 View Post
    thanks for the reply my concern is more the strength and flex of the filler being that the project is a ice airboat lots of vibration

Maybe this video will help to fill in some of the blanks..

Tony Anderson, director of aluminum technology, ITW Welding North America, discusses 4943 the first new aluminum filler metal to be developed, registered by the Aluminum Association and classified by the American Welding Society in nearly five decades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQHhrHXH0AQ

would also think that Galen will check in when he can...
    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014 at 07:00 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The strength of 4943 is close to that of 5356...Here is a comparison of tensile strength (fillet shear strength is approximately 60% of tensile strength)

4043 = 28ksi
    5356 = 38ksi
    4943 = 35ksi

Unlike steel, aluminum doesn't get brittle in cold temperatures. Actually, the strength and toughness increases in aluminum alloys as the temperature decreases. That said, 5356 does have better ductility and toughness (ability to withstand flexing and resist cracking under impact) than 4943 or any other 4xxx alloy.

Smile

Aluminum Filler selection involves weighing the importance of a number of factors and characteristics of the available filler metals...

This video gives a quick overview..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zCfBg_jNpY
    Last edited by H80N; 03-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200