Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Your going to need that board that sits on your SR!, Another thing after your output board is your top board, generally the pulse trasnformers are trashed. These fire the IGBT's. Best take it into a qualified tech
    Hmm. Do you have anything that will tell me what the specs are on the boards. The sr1 board looks ok with nothing discolored, blown, ect. The SR1 itself is dead shorted between the terminals. I would also like to get my hands on the specs for the PC2 board as well, but miller said they didn't have anything. I most likely will not take it to a qualified tech, I work on everything myself and the few times i have taken anything to "qualified" techs has turned out to be a mess. I did call my local tech and he just wanted to replace a whole bunch of parts with out even checking them. Sounds like he didn't even know how to check them, which makes sense since none of that info is in the tech manual. Fortunately for me my brother works at a electronics development firm so he will be doing most of the checking/work for me. Just getting my hands on the specs is the hard part.

Default xmt

as cruzer said you should take it in. I have repaired a lot of xmts thru the years. most likely your looking at power switch, input rectifier, igbts, inter connect pc board for starts.

Well, just check the 2 little protection diodes down low on the board next to each of the igbt's. If they are good, then likely so are the igbts. SR1 gets taken out by a surge. so now you have phase to phase, main breaker blows. Its unlikely but posssibly that the linking contactors are stuck. Extremely rare though. Miller doesn't like me too much when I send the spec's, though I can answer your questions any time you like... Best check your input switch, hopefully that will be the culprit

I fix 1000's of these units, pretty easy really
    Last edited by cruizer; 03-03-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Well, just check the 2 little protection diodes down low on the board next to each of the igbt's. If they are good, then likely so are the igbts. SR1 gets taken out by a surge. so now you have phase to phase, main breaker blows. Its unlikely but posssibly that the linking contactors are stuck. Extremely rare though. Miller doesn't like me too much when I send the spec's, though I can answer your questions any time you like... Best check your input switch, hopefully that will be the culprit

I fix 1000's of these units, pretty easy really
    How do i check the protection diodes, I don't have any specs on the board. They look nice and clean. The whole machine looks nice and clean other then where the vr1 blew, and the on/off switch blew. My brother was saying it looked like a surge as well. Today, I was messing around with it and disconnected the leads off the sr1 board so it could not pass current to anything else. I then proceded to plug it in, and boom. Blew the breaker. I then isolated the on/off swith and nothing. I then bypassed the on/off switch and it blew the breaker again. So I know the short is in the sr1. Now the big question is if it damaged anything else I am missing.

Default XMT304 throwing breaker when switch is turned on. Help!

I have an xmt 304 doing the same exact thing. So far, I have confirmed the switch is bad and there is a direct short between phases. No tech manual yet so it's tough to diagnose. LB241697
    Last edited by Osar; 03-10-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Found bad power module (SR1) by process of elimination. $60 ebay

Hello All, Just joined the forum and thought I'd comment on this. I've been a CST since 1997 (hence the handle) and work on every type of welding equipment. Challenging and rewarding at the same time. Enough of this.

The worst words a tech can hear is when the conversation starts, "I bought it at an auction." Most of the time it has been checked out and it was too costly or too complicated to repair. Not always, but 90%. I've actually seen the same machine 4 times. Yup, 4 different auctions.

I think the advice on this one is very good. Input diode pops and shorts the on/off switch. Or visa versa. Hopefully the power board, IGBT's and control board missed the power surge.

If I can help in any way I'll give it a shot.

Kinda sounds like we have the same problem. Let me know how yours works out. I have all my parts, but I have not had time to actually work on it. Will be a week or so before I get to it.

New switch and power module makes it turn on, but now I get help 6. (Low input voltage) Odd, my outlet reads 246 volts. Any suggestions?

Could T2 be a culprit???