Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Just to Introduce Myself

Hey all,
    my name is Michael Treadway. I just wanted to introduce myself here. Just joined. I am the owner and operator of the website and business: www.thewelderslens.com. I lived in Wyoming from 2003-2010, worked the oil patch and had a rig truck and shop set up. Hurt my back and had to sell everything and re-coop. Doing better now. While in Wyoming I built a welding home study course on pipe and plate welding with TIG, MIG, Uphill and Downhill carbon steel. Total of 18 DVDs total. Moved back to Louisiana in 2010 where I now live.Looking forward to some great tips and ideas and I can be of a help to anyone please let me know.
    God bless!

Welcome aboard. So would you say you're from Wyosiana or Louisioming?
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974 vintage)
    Syncrowave 250
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Welcome to the forum Michael.

Hi,
    Hope your back is better! I know what that is like!

I am looking for some tips on the best way to feed aluminum filler into the weld pool.
    Also looking for tips to help me pass my upcoming test on aluminum (4 positions)?
    Thanks,
    Erik

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EDL View Post
    Hi,
    I am looking for some tips on the best way to feed aluminum filler into the weld pool.,
    Erik
    Here is a good visual on TIG filler feeding technique..

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...eding-rod.html

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...-rod-hand.html
    Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2014 at 05:52 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

While all that fancy hand / finger work looks great on camera what that video is not showing you is how much the end of the filler rod your trying to add (or keep connected to) the puddle is jumping around.

I'm not saying that I never use some of that technique in certain situations, but in general I find it best to just hold on steady to the filler rod (starting out about 12" + back from the end) and when it gets down close and you need more filler rod extension I back off the foot pedal (heat), let the filler rod freeze to the puddle and then slide my fingers back the filler rod a good distance and take another steady grip on it. Then it's back up on the heat and on with the welding. I have that little maneuver down pretty pat and I'm guessing it's usually only about a 2 second interruption in my progression down the weld joint.

I can feed a whole 36" piece of filler rod into a weld doing that 3 or 4 times a lot steadier, faster and with better looking results than if I'm trying to constantly have my left hand and fingers moving trying to feed the filler rod out.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Thumbs up

Would bet there are as many individual variations on feeding technique as there are people welding...

with no right or wrong method...

use the method that works best for you..

Here is one discussion on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ller-technique

if you search old threads you will find many more..
    Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Hi,

Here is what I said on another thread (see below):
    I am interested in different opinions on how to feed filler into the pool.
    As mentioned below; what is the best way? Push filler into the puddle or gently add to front of puddle, etc?

"I advance the filler by laying it across the grove between my thumb and index finger, then use my index finger and middle (next) finger to advance my rod.
    Advancing the filler this way works for me. This works very well if you want to stack dimes as the time between addition of filler gives time to advance the rod.
    On bigger welds I feed a good bit of rod into the [pool then move ahead with the torch and repeat. This leaves a larger distance between the beads but looks good, especially if everything is set up well, it gives a nice pattern with a shiny section then a frosted section and so on.

One thing not talked about is the way filler is added to the pool.

I have been told that forcing the filler until it feels resistance is good for penetration; however I have read that it is important to add filler slowly not to disrupt or cool the molten pool.
    Any feed back on this?"

Welcome to the forum EDL.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by EDL View Post
    Hi,

Here is what I said on another thread (see below):
    I am interested in different opinions on how to feed filler into the pool.
    As mentioned below; what is the best way? Push filler into the puddle or gently add to front of puddle, etc?

"I advance the filler by laying it across the grove between my thumb and index finger, then use my index finger and middle (next) finger to advance my rod.
    Advancing the filler this way works for me. This works very well if you want to stack dimes as the time between addition of filler gives time to advance the rod.
    On bigger welds I feed a good bit of rod into the [pool then move ahead with the torch and repeat. This leaves a larger distance between the beads but looks good, especially if everything is set up well, it gives a nice pattern with a shiny section then a frosted section and so on.

One thing not talked about is the way filler is added to the pool.

I have been told that forcing the filler until it feels resistance is good for penetration; however I have read that it is important to add filler slowly not to disrupt or cool the molten pool.
    Any feed back on this?"

I agree with your thoughts. The more cold filler added to the weld pool per dip the cooler it will become through-out the duration of the dip so, as I see it, the same logic applies to the speed it is added. I will often use the filler to momentarily control the heat if things start to get away, adding filler faster as required to cool the pool slightly.