Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default can cast aluminum engine be stick welded with 4043

a friend wants me to weld a chunk approx. 1x1x4 inches that broke off in a collision. it is what the water pump mounts to on a 2012 honda odessy.
    I have a limited amount of experience stick welding aluminum. I have much stick experience on steel, and a lot of tig and mig aluminun experience.
    im reluctant because im not very confident it will work out successfully.
    he insists i try because im the only one he found to do it.
    should i not bother even trying?

Quote Originally Posted by a12bsmilin View Post
    a friend wants me to weld a chunk approx. 1x1x4 inches that broke off in a collision. it is what the water pump mounts to on a 2012 honda odessy.
    I have a limited amount of experience stick welding aluminum. I have much stick experience on steel, and a lot of tig and mig aluminun experience.
    im reluctant because im not very confident it will work out successfully.
    he insists i try because im the only one he found to do it.
    should i not bother even trying?
    I think that TIG welding it with 4943 is probably a better choice...

here is a thread on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4943
    Last edited by H80N; 02-27-2014 at 03:34 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I would tend to agree with H80N on the TIG welding on this, MIG would be next choice. I would not even ATTEMPT it with stick aluminum.
    That being said though, since this is a 2012, It is probably covered under full coverage insurance, and that would be the route to take to get the repairs made. You did say it was caused by a collision, so somebody's insurance should be paying for it.

There's a fello here that posted a video of welding alum with the stick you better watch it first. I'm not a welder but I've tried those white rods there not very good.
    We have a fab shop here in town that does critical welds I know the owner and told me he couldn't weld with them so I'm pretty sure there not very good.

Cool

I do 2 or 3 aluminum blocks a year from wrecks that have chunks missing. I use a mig because thats what i have avail. I wouldn't even do stick unless that was all there was with no other options. I did stick weld my C6 Mustang trans 38 years ago because thats all i had and it worked well...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48