Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Default Penetration on outside corner joints

I sometimes use up odd pieces making boxes of aluminum. My garage has open studding I padded out to 11" deep. At 12" spacing shelving fits between made from 3/4" thick stock. It makes it easier to grab associated parts in one container and go. I usually weld from 16 gauge 6061 starting with outside corners, then reinforcing by doing inside. On those I grind the weld smooth, I sometimes find the outside corner weld has little penetration. With very deep boxes it is difficult to get down inside to do a inside corner. When in the grinding process I discover a crack, it is very challenging to fill it in.

Is there a trick to get deeper penetration on these outside corners so they can be sanded to 3/32" radius smooth. I'm using a Dialarc HF as the Diversion doesn't work well at all on these.

Make sure your joint fit up is corner to corner and not overlapped. You should be punching through 16 gauge without any trouble. You can also lay the part so the joint is in the flat position to weld.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

I like to use 1/4 or heavier angle iron as a backer, it pulls heat out on thin mat. And evens out weld that allows me to concentrate on front edge of puddle to get good penetration also allows thicker bead with good pent.
    I will also tilt my work up hill a little this promotes deeper penetration and thicker bead to allow grinding. Adjust as needed.

Meant 90 deg. Angle Alm.

I like using a piece of steel angle for back up on corner joints on thin aluminum sheet (especially if there's some gap-age). Then when I'm working on plain or stainless steels I'll use aluminum angle. That way the backer doesn't end up getting stuck to the back side of the joint.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

I like copper best but hard to find 90 deg angle unless u make it.
    I hv a piece of 1/4" x 4" x 12" copper use it a lot.
    Wish I had couple more

McMaster Carr has copper strip and sheet.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-re...sheets/=qvrzeu
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)