Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Air Compressor takes a nap

My air compressor as decided to lay down on the job and I have a small aluminum job coming up this weekend so I'll be needing the plasma. I've searched and read but I still can't find a answer. I'll be hooking up a cylinder of compressed air. Lws pointed me toward med air. Its cheap and readily available. My question is how long would I expect this cylinder to last? Its a 335 cubic ft. Is it feasible or do I need to go ahead and bite the bullet and repair the compressor? $$$$
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

Quote Originally Posted by sledsports View Post
    My air compressor as decided to lay down on the job and I have a small aluminum job coming up this weekend so I'll be needing the plasma. I've searched and read but I still can't find a answer. I'll be hooking up a cylinder of compressed air. Lws pointed me toward med air. Its cheap and readily available. My question is how long would I expect this cylinder to last? Its a 335 cubic ft. Is it feasible or do I need to go ahead and bite the bullet and repair the compressor? $$$$
    335 cf @ what PSI..??

your plasma consumes how many CFM @ 60?? PSI..?? (60 is a guess... give us your real number)

then we will have to find the calc to figure the conversion..

how much cutting do you need to do??

What is the matter with your compressor??
    Last edited by H80N; 02-25-2014 at 06:47 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    335 cf @ what PSI..??

your plasma consumes how many CFM @ 60?? PSI..?? (60 is a guess... give us your real number)

then we will have to find the calc to figure the conversion..

how much cutting do you need to do??

What is the matter with your compressor??
    Its a 3phase running off of a rotary phase converter or (add a phase) as some like to say. It burnt a leg up on my motor starter so a a new starter and some wiring, motor repairs and the compressor needs the head rebuilt with new unloaders (been putting that off for awhile). Fix it all at once is gonna be cash!
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

too many variables are missing to think of something...

what makes you think your compressor will be $$$ ?

the air cylinder is a what pressure ? 2200, 2500 if it's the case it should last about the same time an oxy bottle, what is your post flow time on your plasma, pressure required for your alu. thickness...ahhh so many questions.

a guy stuck in the fields would think of stealing air from a large truck tire...

darn...hn80 beat me to the finish line lol

OK, you guys got me. I have no idea what PSI is in a Med air cylinder because I've never messed with one. My plasma says 6.7scfm @ 90psig. I'm cutting some 6"x 5/8" flat stock. Be about 16 square cuts total. I know the compressor is gonna cost $$$$ cause its a Quincy.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

it may be cheaper to rent or buy a small compressor and work with it, slower but it 'll get the job done.

The compressor itself has had unloader problems for a while now. I got one unhooked. Its a 2 stage 340 on a 200 gallon tank. I had an electrical issue on the starts the other day and it burnt one of the legs up on the out starter. Cooked the terminal and burnt the wire off. Probably ruined the whole thing. It still pulls together but I'll bet the contacts on that leg is fried crispier than saterday morning bacon.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

your contactor and wire frying has probably been caused by that defective unloader valve, as it tried to start loaded. Some time also combined with a defective check-valve at the tank entrance ( also seen parts of the head valve plates stuck in check valve...) Don't tell us it has no fuses or breaker Ha!

HN 80 if you get your hand on a formula to calculate cfm at different psi and psi at different cfm or whatever...I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    your contactor and wire frying has probably been caused by that defective unloader valve, as it tried to start loaded. Some time also combined with a defective check-valve at the tank entrance ( also seen parts of the head valve plates stuck in check valve...) Don't tell us it has no fuses or breaker Ha!
    Well you hit the nail on the head. Lol. Yes its breakered but its over killed like everything else I do.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe