Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ed Craig, is this guy legite?

A while back I stumbled across this website http://www.weldreality.com/default2.htm
    and actually took the time to read all of it. (I know, I need a life) Although he does seem to have legitimate points, and the way he carries on make him see reputable, I still have to wonder. (Think Beverly Hills Cop, where Eddie Murphy walk on to the construction site and pretends to be the foreman) After all, he is trying to sell his product, which is the first thing that makes me wonder, and what he says essentially paints 99% of us welders as hackjobs. I just thought I would pose my question here, what do you guys think?

BTW, if you haven't seen his site, you don't have to read the whole thing to get the idea, it's pretty repetive. (And whether or not he can weld, he sure can't design a web page.)
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

He does say why and how he developed his attitude.

Cool

PLANT HELP.... Ed will also visit you facility and provide hands on, instant solutions to all your robot / manual MIG and flux cored weld issues and if you require provide a unique, highly cost effective process control training program. In one to three days you will experience dramatic improvements in your MIG and flux cored weld quality and productivity. Cost $1275 daily plus exp.

Not a bad racket. There is a whole bunch of reading there. More than i desire....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default I'm a skeptical guy

I guess what I find suspicous is the fact that he goes on (and on and on and on) about how NOBODY is able to properly adjust GMAW perameters, automated or manual, BUT, he conveniently he has the solution. (For a small fee. ) Sure there are hack job shops out there, but if the industry was in as bad a state as he says, nothing should be working at all right now. Is this guy just blowing El Toro excrament?
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Talking

"Ed did this, Ed did that, Ed can do this that and everthing else." O PLEASE!!! Give me a brake!

Quote Originally Posted by shorerider16 View Post
    I guess what I find suspicous is the fact that he goes on (and on and on and on) about how NOBODY is able to properly adjust GMAW perameters, automated or manual, BUT, he conveniently he has the solution. (For a small fee. )

You hit the nail on the head.
    Anytime anybody in any industry claims that they, and only they have THE ANSWER, while everyone else in the industry are total idiots??
    That pretty much sums up his website. 927 million idiots vs. one ed craig, the sole repository of the great wisdoms of the metal fussion processes crying out in the wilderness.
    Give me a break.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

He gets 20,000 hits a day on his website?

There's nothing like paying somebody in a suit and tie three times what you could pay a skilled blue collar welder to do.

I like this pic I found on his webpage though:

Default Some of what Ed says makes sense

I looked at Ed's website and scanned through his information. Some of what he says makes sense. Unfortunately, you have to buy his books or attend one of his seminars or pay his "come to your location and train you on site" fees to get the full story. He is selling his knowledge and experience. This is his bread and butter; he is after all a welding process consultant. If you look through his website, he is in some of the welding pictures showing someone how to weld.

Do I think Ed has all the RIGHT ANSWERS? No, he has HIS OPINION on how things should and could be done. His OPINION and SOLUTIONS are geared toward major companies that have 500+ employees and operational budgets that are in the $1,000,000.00 PLUS category. He is targeting big shops that can afford million dollar welding work cells and throw away thousands of dollars of material as scrap that we as smaller operators would love to get our hands on. His fees are an investment toward reducing cost and expenses in the welding cells.

I used to work at a Aluminum Die Caster in Central Texas that was QSO 9000 and was continually having production process problems. They went through the motions of doing 6 Sigma programs for business with GE but never whole heartily bought into it or went along with the program to try to improve things. They kept one person trained in 6 Sigma on staff just to keep the purchasing guys at GE happy.

The attitude there was any production problems was the fault of the machine operator. I watched as dies were routinely moved from machine to machine and there was constant problems with the operational process. They had records as to what machines and settings would run a particular part the best but never followed what they recorded. "We need that machine for another part, move that die to this machine instead." Then you could watch the PROCESS CONTROL guys constantly tweak the machine and never get the parts to fully produce right leading to excess scrap at casting, trim, secondary processing and machining if those parts went to that department. Eventually the part dies would get back into the right die cast machine and run like needed until someone said to pull the die again. There were actually very few machines and only certain parts that did not get this yo-yo process. The so called PROCESS CONTROL was really Process Monitoring because rarely was the process ever in any actual control.

There are people like Ed in every industry in this nation. They are consultants and are experts in their field. They are in the business to sell their knowledge and expertise to those who can afford it and benefit from it. Some claim to have all the answers and know everything there is to be known about one particular field and stopped learning many years ago and failed to keep up with technology and changing rules and regulations. Some claim to have most of the answers and are continuing to learn as they adapt their knowledge to changing technology and rules and regulations. I would rather deal with the guy that is still learning and adapting to change than the guy that says he has all the answers and states that he already knows everything.

I agree, Ed's website is a horrible extremely long, drawn out affair. He is after all selling his services. He is giving out information for free, but you have to work for it by reading through all the hype and mess. It will take time but you might find some useful information if you glean through it all. However, it you don't have the time and penitence to sit reading for hours through all of his sales pitch, then you can pay Ed to come see you or go to see him at one of his welding seminars.

This is what I picked up from his website just gleaning over it:

1.) What used to be the best quality wire made by Lincoln Electric in the US is now being produced by Lincoln Owned subsidiaries overseas and may not meet the old specs or have the same characteristics as the older US made wire. Country of origin may affect weld quality. Wire from China may be the worst in quality whereas wire from Europe may be closest to the older US product in terms of weld characteristics.

2.) Multi parts gasses for mild steel, 3 or 4 parts, may not be any better than a 2 part steel mix with a lower percentage of CO2. 80/20 or 90/10 may actually be better that 75/25 on two part gasses. It also depends on what you are welding material wise and position wise as well. Multi-part gasses do cost more; the more parts, the more expensive.

3.) 0.035 wire can go to spray transfer at 350 ipm. I need to look further into what the voltage and current setting was for that as well as what gas was being used.

4.) Steel mix with lower CO2 percentage can produce less splatter when welding.

5.) $15,000.00 Pulsed mig machine may not necessarily produce a better weld than a $3,000.00 CV powered wire feeder. This could be caused by machine setup and settings or the skill and ability of the actual operator of the machine.

6.) Proper operator training can help with consumable use and expenditures.

All this from what I scanned from his site. I think there is valuable information here to be learned. I just do not relish all the time it would take to read through it all to find what he is letting us know for FREE.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

I agree with flukecej's post, Some of what Ed says makes sense. His web design maybe isn't the best but there is some good reading on it.
    Education is the key with all trades, the more you learn the better you'll be. Some guys want to learn and want to continue to improve while some guys don't. We had a young guy at work that just started migging aluminum about 3 months ago, he'd been having problems and our incompetant foreman hasn't been able to help him. I happened to use his machine (Invision™ 350 MPa) or I should say tried to use his machine last week only to discover something was terribly wrong. Flipped the panel open and to my horror he's been welding with a steel program! Pushed a couple of buttons and no more problems for anyone!
    Hmm maybe I should ask for a raise... saved hiring Ed to fix our problems!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I read Ed's site in 1/01 and found I still use his 17 cups of coffee at 10 o'clock to good use.....probablly the same site as in 2001.....I will have to go back and read...till later, Paul
    More Spark Today Please