Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Millwright or Steamfitter?

Hello everyone,

I'm leaving the military soon and want to learn a skilled trade that involves welding. I'm looking at moving to northern California for an apprenticeship in either millwright or steamfitter. Millwright sounds like a lot of fun because of the variety and getting to work with large machinery, but I heard that the work is less steady and pays less than a steamfitter. From reading online, I have a general idea of what a steam/pipefitter does (fabricate, install, weld, etc). I don't mean to offend anyone, but it sounds repetitive and I'm hoping that the descriptions I've read are just very vague and don't go in depth about how varied it can be. Is steam/pipefitting a satisfying job? Is it fun? Is there variety?

Suggest you google various union locals. Most will have a picture section showing recent projects. Will help you get the drift of what their work is like. Example here is one for the boilermakers. Click on the lower pictures ...... http://www.boilermakers359.org/pages...mberphotos.htm

Default Millwright or Steamfitter?

Millwrights aren't really welders. And the pipe fitters usually are a fitter and then another guy who just welds. Not bad trades. Check out the boilermakers. That's what I do and I love it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128 View Post
    Millwrights aren't really welders.
    I was the welding Millwright and i had lots of Millwright helpers that didn't weld...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Pretty sure his name is Nathan........Joe, or is it Bob?

If your main interest is welding, why not become an apprentice welder.
    If your going to become a millwright, millwrighting will be your main job, welding will only be a part of that job. Same goes for pipefitting/steamfitting but the welding part of that trade is under much more scrutiny/quality control.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Illinois--Land of Multi-Convicted governors :(

You should checkout helmetstohardhats.org
    Many opportunities there for you.
    Let a Boilermaker tell you about work in the U.S.
    Stay out of the Ironworkers.
    Pipefitters have a heck-of an apprentice program.
    Think about being an electrician too. Side work a-plenty.

If you banked enough terminal leave you can start schooling while still in service using active duty TA. I did. Check all your options and see financial aid offices at any school you might be interested in because they are all about getting paid by Uncle Sugar.

You have up to 15 years to use the post-9/11 GI Bill, and you don't have to do it in one shot.