Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stainless Maple syrup pan

My friend wants me to weld up a stainless pan that he will use to heat maple sap for syrup can I use silver solder or should I stick to 309 stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by Gocha Ent. Inc. View Post
    My friend wants me to weld up a stainless pan that he will use to heat maple sap for syrup can I use silver solder or should I stick to 309 stainless?
    If it were me I would TIG it.... with stainless filler..

rule of thumb has been to use a higher number filler that the parent metal

(there is some controversy about that so best to consult a selection chart))

if 304... go with 308 plus etc...

try to identify the alloy... some of the sanitary stainless is 316...

Here is a link to a SS Filler selection chart..

http://www.brazing.com/products/Weld...tion_chart.asp

Here is a quick overview of stainless TIG with a simplified selection chart..

http://www.cousesteel.com/AndysPlace...20SS%20Tig.doc
    Last edited by H80N; 02-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I would recommend also to tig it, You will be just fine using Grade 316 wire.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by Gocha Ent. Inc. View Post
    Is it a old pan? Maple equipment until recently has been soldered. for a time after the lead scare, manufacturers used Silvabright Solder, a lead free solder. I would expect repairs on previously soldered pans to be difficult using TIG. We solder with a soldering copper and liquid flux. Never heat the pan with a torch!
    Modern pans are TIG welded, they use machined backer pieces to hold, back purge, and draw excess heat away from the heat affected zone.
    I would consider building a pan from copper. As a teenager I built several evaporators from 275 gallon oil tanks with galvanized steel pans. I'm not aware of anyone suffering any medical problems.

Default Stainless Maple syrup pan

309 rod is for dissimilar metals so unless they are different materials don't use that. 316 is typical food grade.