Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 200, how many versions were there? Which one do I have here??

As I do research on my Millermatic 200, I see lots of variations. Some have "CP" in front of the 200, some have white panels, etc. etc. I'll try to post a picture but have had zero success doing that from my desktop. I guess I'll describe it in words: Black panel, SKP-35 unit top right corner, SN K8052215, Says "Millermatic CV-DC-ARC welder, power source/ wire welding". So, my question is how many variations were there and which one is the most desirable?
    Last edited by denwhit; 09-08-2014 at 09:40 AM.

There a few different versions. The skp panel has had quite a few issues, and is somewhat outdated. All of the versions were/are good. The only realissues are terminal connections on the back of the front panel, and after 30 years the capacitors get weak. New caps and the machine is good as new.
    Get your machine plugged in and weld with it and stop worrying wether yours is a really really realy good welder or just a really really good welder.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    There a few different versions. The skp panel has had quite a few issues, and is somewhat outdated. All of the versions were/are good. The only realissues are terminal connections on the back of the front panel, and after 30 years the capacitors get weak. New caps and the machine is good as new. Get your machine plugged in and weld with it and stop worrying wether yours is a really really realy good welder or just a really really good welder.
    Thanks for the reply and good advice. Should one replace the capacitors as a preventative thing or wait for a failure? If I was told the truth, this machine was purchased in the early 90's and then the older guy died 6 months later so it was only used for a few months.

Double check your SN. Second character should be a letter not a number.

In a nut shell, ALL MM200s are good machines and there were/are 4 basic "generations" with a few subtle internal changes along the way making what I call "sub-generations". As for white face-vs.-black face, I can't tell you what SN the black face made its appearance but the MM200 started out with white.

Gen 1 - No polarity change capability, spot weld only control, 4-pin receptacle for Spoolmatic 1 direct connect spoolgun.

Gen 2 - Added external polarity change capability.

Gen 3 - Replaced spot weld only with SKP-35 spot weld/pulse control.

Gen 4 - Replaced 4-pin with 14-pin spoolgun control receptacle for Spoolmatic 3 direct connect spoolgun (and later for use with current WC-24/Spoolmatic 15A/30A weld control/spoolgun combination).

Within these basic generations were "sub-generation" internal changes that included Fan-on-Demand, changing from a 4-wire to 2-wire feed drive motor and an increase in weld output capacitor operating voltage and capacitance rating that remained for the remainder of their production.

As for your capacitors, if it's real low hour machine as believed I wouldn't worry about them unless there's an indication of a problem such as one or more leaking, obvious failures (swollen housing or blown open) or good welding performance requires a significant higher setting than called for in the recommended setting chart that could be an indication of weak caps.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 09-08-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default You are correct!

Rechecked the serial number and it's KB, not K8. Mine has the 14 pin connector. I've been able to find the WC-24, Spoolmatic 30A, and Roughneck gun so should be all set. I've been told to run .030 wire for this machine as I'll be welding metal 1/4" or less probably. The capacitors all look fine and I believe it's right on with the thickness/welding recommendations printed so I'll quit worrying about that. Thanks for the help.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
    Rechecked the serial number and it's KB, not K8. Mine has the 14 pin connector. I've been able to find the WC-24, Spoolmatic 30A, and Roughneck gun so should be all set. I've been told to run .030 wire for this machine as I'll be welding metal 1/4" or less probably. The capacitors all look fine and I believe it's right on with the thickness/welding recommendations printed so I'll quit worrying about that. Thanks for the help.
    Your KB052215 Serial MM200 is Early to Mid 1991 manufacture....

From what I am seeing it was the last and latest version..

here is the manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1303p_mil.pdf

I could be wrong but I counted 14 versions of the MM200

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/l...&submit=Search
    Last edited by H80N; 09-08-2014 at 04:02 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Your KB052215 Serial MM200 is Early to Mid 1991 manufacture....

From what I am seeing it was the last and latest version..

here is the manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1303p_mil.pdf

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/l...&submit=Search
    I see in your signature, you own one too. Are there any parts, ie; drive rolls, ect. that one should stock up on in case they get hard to find in the future?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
    I see in your signature, you own one too. Are there any parts, ie; drive rolls, ect. that one should stock up on in case they get hard to find in the future?
    drive rolls are the same on all of the industrial duty Miller welder feeders...

rolls for my MM350P will fit the MM200... so no worries..

the full sized 3 legged rolls are common throughout the industrial range...any LWS should have rolls..

BTW..The small rolls (4 legged) will NOT fit your MM200.. those are for the light duty or hobby grade machines..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by H80N; 09-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Yup, 14 different editions of the manual for sure which in some cases just reflect component PN changes but no design changes within one of the "basic" generations (my choice of term) but some of those 14 are due to those subtle internal design changes to "sub-generations" (again, my choice of term) such as changing from 4-wire to 2-wire drive motors, capacitor ratings increase, replacing an open CR1 to an enclosed version, etc. with no change to the external features and function. I'll admit it could be argued that when Fan-on-Demand was added it could be considered a new basic generation but who's counting?
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110