Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Snow Plow Blade Repair

The concealed damage under the scraper blade wasn't obvious until I removed it. As you can see in the picture "Damage on Bottom Box Beam" the bottom surface of the box beam was bent over backwards and no longer supported the bottom of the scraper blade. The front surface of the box beam was also more than half gone. This meant that the bottom of the scraper blade bent backwards when it contacted the snow. If I had realized this in the beginning I would recommended replacing the blade as opposed to repairing it. The top repair also took more effort than I originally estimated. My process to repair it was the following:

1. Clamped a 1 x 3" bar on the back of the top of the blade to straighten in out and then welded up the cracks.
    2. Removed the clamps and added the sheet metal to cover the holes, clamped it again and welded the sheet metal to the blade.
    3. Removed the clamps and added the angle iron clamped it again and welded on the angle iron.

This process involved more fooling around then I estimated.
    I usually don't like to spend more than half of the cost of a new product to repair it. I was well into the job at the point when I discovered this, so I had to tough if out and finish it. I am hoping that it will last 3 to 4 more years. Typically light duty blades like this only last about 8 years here in Michigan, due to our heavy use of salt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport