Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks, I never thought about the regulator. As far as the cordless charges go, we have not had a problem with the 302Trailblazer's yet. Ours are about 3 years old . Maybe we do enough welding to keep the RPM'S up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I don't think that would work with those semi's he was trying to start, as they run a 24 volt system as opposed to the Bob Cat's 12 volt. Not gonna happen.
    im pretty sure trucks are 12 volt. 2 or 3 batteries but still 12 volt. so it is gonna happen.

Not trying to get off the topic but If you were to weld to the frame of the welder, would it damage the battery or voltage regulator? I bought a Bobcat 225 lp welded a D ring on the handle at previous owners suggestion, used it a few times after with no issues, now it won't charge and I have jumped it with jump pack...what's the most likely culprit battery or vr? Some will say have the battery checked, yeah nice thought but its a real B*+#% to get to with the Lp bracket mount...

I've welded on the frames of welding machines quite a few times. Usually using the machine who's frame I was welding on with out problem. I do how ever take great care to keep my ground connection just as close to where I'm welding as possible so that I'm dam sure the ground path doesn't stray any where close to where it might cause damage.

Recently tried to mig weld the frame of a PipePro 450 machine to a tube steel cart I'd built for it. I got surprised by the frames being made out of aluminum. Hadn't seen that before. Who knew? Ended up having to weld some angle iron clips to the cart and then drill and bolt to the frame.
    Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Thanks for the response, may just be the battery... I dread trying to remove it to replace it...

Quote Originally Posted by JWDESIGNS View Post
    Not trying to get off the topic but If you were to weld to the frame of the welder, would it damage the battery or voltage regulator? I bought a Bobcat 225 lp welded a D ring on the handle at previous owners suggestion, used it a few times after with no issues, now it won't charge and I have jumped it with jump pack...what's the most likely culprit battery or vr? Some will say have the battery checked, yeah nice thought but its a real B*+#% to get to with the Lp bracket mount...
    Quite likely that you have blown the Voltage Regulator....
    They are VERY FRAGILE
    Typically they will charge when running... then drain overnite and have a flat battery after several hours...
    there is a Zener Diode buried in the epoxy potting of the Regulator Pak... that is the usual culprit... and it is non-repairable....

easy way to test is to disconnect the battery... charge it up.. and let it sit overnight or over weekend... then reconnect and see if it will spin the engine... if it still has the charge... likely the reg.... if it went flat while out of circuit... then probably the batt...

If it is the Battery... easiest answer is Wally World and pick up a "Group #58" battery in the automotive section...... for about $50..
    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014 at 06:01 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Question Do Not Jump MILLER Engin Drives..

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Yes, you can jump start most anything, just turn your local control down, a volt meter would be handy! however don't jumpstart anything Miller, or Boards will blow.
    Do not Jumpstart either Bobcat or Trailblazer... nothing good will come from it
    Here is another thread on it

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-jump-starting

and from yet another thread on SFT

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
    Well I emailed Miller Electric and received the following response.

Thank you for your inquiry
    Miller Electric recommends you disconnect the battery. Charge the Battery
    and then reconnect the battery. Never jump start your Trailblazer, PC board
    damage is possible.
    If you would like to discuss this issue further please feel free to call us.
    PPG Service
    920-954-3972
    http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...t=superstition
    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014 at 06:59 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I'm going to ask again. If you jump start a bobcat from a truck battery and have the truck turned off seems like that would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    I'm going to ask again. If you jump start a bobcat from a truck battery and have the truck turned off seems like that would be ok.
    I would not jump start it at all.....

not even if the moon was full and venus was in alignment... NO..!!
    Last edited by H80N; 03-03-2014 at 06:57 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I've jump started my Lincoln Ranger from my truck & I've jump started my truck from my Lincoln Ranger before with No apparent damage to either that I've ever noticed .
    ( Using booster cables - Battery to Battery )

Norm
    Last edited by nfinch86; 03-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com