Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default jump starting with a bobcat

Let me start by saying I don't plan on doing this, but the thawing pipe conversation got me thinking.
    If you were out on a job site and everyone else has left and you find out your trucks battery is dead, could you use your welding leads to jump start the truck. Obviously you would need to have it in D/C and get the lead right.
    What got me thinking of this was it was -12*f and some of the semi's at work would not start. So I took my bobcat 250 out there and ran a battery charger and my torpedo heater off of it. I but plywood around the front of the truck to hold in the heat and let it warm everything up.
    But I still had to use my truck to help the batteries by jumping it too. I know it would of started eventually but I had 3 more trucks to start

Probably not suggested practice... but..

have many times in the past done winter jump starting with a Trailblazer set to CV at 14VDC...

never had any problems...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

When I was a teenager in high school, a friend of mine got a welder to jump start his 67 Malibu with a Lincoln SA 200. The guy hooked his ground cable to the bumper, had him hold the ignition switch in the start position, He put a rod in the stinger and tapped the positive battery post. The engine fired right up. This car was already warmed up and didn't need to be turned over several times to start like a cold diesel would need, so I don't know if it would work in your case or not. Might melt down the battery post or blow up the battery if you tried it. I wouldn't try it myself.

I would run the Bobcat and use jumper cables from battery to battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I would not... that will likely blow the regulator on the Bobcat engine when the other vehicle starts and backfeeds the Bobcat... have seen it several times...do so at your own peril..

that little 15 amp monolithic voltage regulator on those engines pops real easy...

Last edited by H80N; 02-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I don't think that would work with those semi's he was trying to start, as they run a 24 volt system as opposed to the Bob Cat's 12 volt. Not gonna happen.

Yes, you can jump start most anything, just turn your local control down, a volt meter would be handy! however don't jumpstart anything Miller, or Boards will blow.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I would not... that will likely blow the regulator on the Bobcat engine when the other vehicle starts and backfeeds the Bobcat... have seen it several times...do so at your own peril..

that little 15 amp monolithic voltage regulator on those engines pops real easy...

I found this out when I let a customer plug in his cordless battery charger to my TB. I didn't even think to put it in run position first. So he plugged it in at idle & then I flipped the switch to rabbit. Several hours later my TB starts running crappy & when checked the battery was drained & not charging. Replaced the VR & all is well. Coincidence? Who knows.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I found this out when I let a customer plug in his cordless battery charger to my TB. I didn't even think to put it in run position first. So he plugged it in at idle & then I flipped the switch to rabbit. Several hours later my TB starts running crappy & when checked the battery was drained & not charging. Replaced the VR & all is well. Coincidence? Who knows.
    At $40 a pop... those regulators could get expensive if you forget too many times...

I think most small engine shops keep a couple gross of them in stock for when suburbanites jump start their flat garden tractor batteries in the spring after they have been dormant all winter...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The semi's at work are 12v. I don't plan on doing it, I was just thinking. I do carry a small battery charger in my truck box (just in case)