Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Everything you have mentioned says mig not tig. In my opinion if you want to do general repairs on farm equipment & also railing type work you need to use mig. I would look into an engine drive & a feeder before a Dynasty. Tig has it's place but is to slow for general work. Stick has it's place but also is slow. I run my feeder 90% of the time doing mobile work. The other 10% is stick. I can count on one hand the times I've been asked to tig mobile. Sure some guys do a lot of it but not around a farm or construction site.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Anything with gas outdoors is a problem. Any type of breeze & it blows away the shielding so you would need to tent up to block the wind. This is time consuming & if it is not a specialized thing your customer is not going to want to pay for the extra time. I run self shielded wire on my mobile set-up.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Seeking help from those who I know can help.

In your 1st. Post you were talking about getting into the finer part of Tig welding and what Michine is best. And also if it was able to run off a gen. I was answering those questions and that it is a good stick welder also.
    As far as starting a small portable welding business to do field work. I agree with MMW Bobcat & wire feed is the way to go. Then u get a free gen.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTaught View Post
    Lol it's tough but can be done. Getting the arc started is the hardest part. Once it is started you can run with it. Have to burn hot though.
    The high frequency function of the SyncroWave negates the scratch start.
    Do you not have a foot control pedal or fingertip controller?

If not, you are missing most of the advantages of GTAW.

Griff

Great replies and good advice. Glad I joined.
    The thing is I live close to the coast as well. People are alway wanting boats and toons repaired.
    Like I said I was really looking into the bobcat 250.
    After reading a few of the post I began to sway towards the dynasty and a gennie.
    What can the bob cat do that they dynasty and gennie can't?
    I have a hobart 140 wire welder but if I want to use a spool gun to weld aluminium I would need at least a 190 right?

What I have now.....
    Torch/regulator and hoses for tig rig.
    Cutting torch set up, no bottles.
    Hobart 140.
    Truck
    Trailer
    20'x20' shop

What I buisness I expect...
    Farm equipment repair.
    Boat repair
    Fabrication
    Anyother general welding.

Which set up would be better..
    New bobcat 250
    Or
    Dynasty 200 with foot pedal for 2800 (used). And a 6500wat genie (just found one for 800).
    I understand what's being said about the wire welders but I would like a versatile set up to start off with just incase I need more.
    Thanks again for all of the great replies. Y'all are making this ole boy think, which is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    The high frequency function of the SyncroWave negates the scratch start.
    Do you not have a foot control pedal or fingertip controller?

If not, you are missing most of the advantages of GTAW.

Griff
    Griff,
    I just texted the boss man, after looking into the syncrowave some more, and he agreed to order the foot pedal for it. Looks like I will be able to practice soon before buying one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTaught View Post
    Griff,
    I just texted the boss man, after looking into the syncrowave some more, and he agreed to order the foot pedal for it. Looks like I will be able to practice soon before buying one myself.
    Your welding life just got better!
    As far as mobile welding, I have a Bobcat and a Dynasty 200. Yes, the Bobcat will run the Dynasty just fine. Except for when I go to the boondocks, I am able to run the Dynasty on the customers 120 or 240 service.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Anything with gas outdoors is a problem. Any type of breeze & it blows away the shielding so you would need to tent up to block the wind. This is time consuming & if it is not a specialized thing your customer is not going to want to pay for the extra time. I run self shielded wire on my mobile set-up.
    You are absolutely correct about the wind problem. When we have 8" convey pipes break, it seems like it is always on top of the silos where the wind is always whipping. In these cases I have to use a lens kit on the tig rig but at times it's still tough.
    Thanks for the input MMW.
    Hopefully you can help get me on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    Your welding life just got better!
    As far as mobile welding, I have a Bobcat and a Dynasty 200. Yes, the Bobcat will run the Dynasty just fine. Except for when I go to the boondocks, I am able to run the Dynasty on the customers 120 or 240 service.

Griff
    What are you able to do with the bobcat that you can't do with the dynasty run off a gennie?
    Right now I do not want to buy the bobcat and the dynasty. I have put away enough to buy a new bobcat or a used dynasty and 6500wat gennie.
    Thanks

I'd say go with the Bob Cat first, then get the Dynasty later. This will get you started with just the one machine, and you won't be needing to sell a genset later to buy the engine drive. You will have more electrical power than the generator you mentioned. The Hobart Mig can do the thin aluminum on boat pontoons with a spool gun. I have a Miller Matic 140 and spool gun and it does good on john boat thickness aluminum, about the same for pontoons. The BC can be rigged up with a TIG torch if you need it. Then you will have it already when you buy the Dynasty.